There's something fishy about this build...

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna sound a bit Witch Doctory, but as soon as I see something like that happening, I start dosing Fiji Mud in the desperate hope that an injection of new microbiome can outcompete whatever's causing the RTN. I've never done an antibiotic dip for SPS, but if I lost several colonies, I'd start to think about it.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just chopped it up. The base is going in the eel tank. The rest has been washed and let sit with new saltwater and then divided up among both tanks. The best are in the high flow of this tank.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wouldn’t use h2o2 on sps.

Looking at the pic the center of the colony appears also to be affected

From parameters the only thing that jumps out Is phosphate and nitrates are high, but not alarmingly. Mg is low but I know you’re working on it.

Has temp been stable?
This all started two weeks ago in my old tank that would overheat. Seemed to start at the back of my playing Monti and killed all but a small frag. Then it started on the stylophora. They were right next to each other.

When moving this monti over I did accidentally break off the central branch and that’s where that whit spot is from I think. I did raise the salinity recently.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be honest. I used to keep sps and acro tanks for many years and there’s nothing worse than having a little mistake, your fault or not, cause you to wake up and see an entire colony bleach white because of rtn. Or to watch it happen over the course of a few weeks and not being able to stop it or control it (stn)

I stopped sps because of this. I had a power outage, lost a 12” wide colony. Alkalinity swing, lost another colony.

Stn is a little easier, as you have more time to think and react.

Rtn is like. Panic mode. The colony will be gone in 48 hours or less without action. Fragging is often the only way to save something.

My tank is my serenity and supposed to bring calmness and not anxiety and fear so I switched to lps which are more forgiving

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be honest. I used to keep sps and acro tanks for many years and there’s nothing worse than having a little mistake, your fault or not, cause you to wake up and see an entire colony bleach white because of rtn. Or to watch it happen over the course of a few weeks and not being able to stop it or control it (stn)

I stopped sps because of this. I had a power outage, lost a 12” wide colony. Alkalinity swing, lost another colony.

Stn is a little easier, as you have more time to think and react.

Rtn is like. Panic mode. The colony will be gone in 48 hours or less without action. Fragging is often the only way to save something.

My tank is my serenity and supposed to bring calmness and not anxiety and fear so I switched to lps which are more forgiving
Well I’m glad you happened to be here to give me advice. Thanks

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So wish I had better news with the new wrasse. The yellow tail comes out for short periods, and I didn't see the leopard at all today. I know these are all very sensitive fish, and it is just day two, so I shouldn't expect all three to be out and happy yet but... Still, the lineatus is out and looking great:
IMG_4758.jpeg

IMG_4751.jpeg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
uggh
Anyone know what’s wrong with my SPS? I thought it was a bacterial infection? It’s now hit my forestfire Monti and took out a whole arm today. It’s like a pinkish brown slime that spreads really fast?
IMG_1049.jpeg
I've had similar on my Gonis before. Blew it off with a turkey baster and the part that wasn't covered survived...

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, conference in Atlanta with a very enticing networking dinner...

1718994310097.png
Ooh you might get to see the other side of the ocean voyager. Even I haven’t seen that (well not from the dry side)

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 10.0%
Back