Thinking about something new

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thinking here...

I've got a big enclosed patio, concrete floor with carpet over it. There's a pool table, dart board, a TV, stereo, pop-a-shot basketball game.. You know, a party room. It's kinda temperature controlled, not quite as limited as a typical house... temps in there range from 60f to 80f, depending on season, but it never gets out of that range.

What if a guy were to take something like this:
Tote.png

That's 96" x 84" x 28", about 750 gallons. Set that on a cinder block foundation to get it up to a reasonable 'top down' viewing height, mount a 100g rubbermaid tote over the back of it, with a pump feeding up into the overhead sump, gravity draining back to the display.

Build a bar top surround, hang four or so Kessels way high overhead. Couple inches of sand, a few natural looking rock bommies. Fill it with angels, tangs, triggers, maybe a puffer, some fast growing, low light softies. Mushrooms, gsp, corky gorgonian... Xenia, even. Stuff that you wouldn't care much if the fishes were snacking on it. Some nice looking clams...

I'm thinking I could probably pull something like this off for a reasonable budget.

Opinions? Ideas? My current 150g peninsula isn't going anywhere... this idea may not either, just kinda thinking :D

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought was the material it's made out of. Can it withstand prolonged salt water without erosion or leeching into the water?

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought was the material it's made out of. Can it withstand prolonged salt water without erosion or leeching into the water?
According to the mfg site... FDA food-grade high density virgin polyethylene

Probably better than many of the PETG 3d printed parts or PVC plumbing parts that are in my tank now.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe with all that water support around the sides would be needed.
Agree here. Even to protect from something banging into it. Simple 2x6 framing.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe with all that water support around the sides would be needed.
From the mfg site again, "the most rugged poly tank on the market. It features a closed-lip design that is incredibly strong and won't buckle to crowding livestock"

I doubt it'd need additional support.

PapaFishRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the mfg site again, "the most rugged poly tank on the market. It features a closed-lip design that is incredibly strong and won't buckle to crowding livestock"

I doubt it'd need additional support.
Agreed. It’s designed to be full of water. And anyone who has seen cows rushing a watering trough, knows it isn’t “gentle”

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100000% yes, do it!!!

What would you do for filtration? The bar top surround might be a problem for maintenance, maybe one section that swings up for access?
Was planning on a 3 sided surround, free standing. Should be able to drag the entire thing out away from the tub for maintenance. I'm an old fat guy... access is important, and I'm unwilling to do much in the way of gymnastics to clean the tank.

Filtration: Planned on a 100g rubbermaid tote I already have, suspended on a platform behind and above the display as a reverse flow sump. Pump water up to the sump, let if overflow back via gravity. I'm a big believer in macro algae as filtration. Put a decent macro algae light over the tote, add Chaetomorpha, amphipods, copepods, let it age. My current reef runs that way, no skimmer, just chaeto, water changes, and the only additive I use is Kalkwasser.

A couple big Tunze powerheads to keep the water moving, should be simple and effective.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about top off? How much does being outdoors affect evap?
Not outdoors, just an enclosed patio. Basically a big room in the house that doesn't have it's own HVAC vents. If it's really cold outside, it'll be 60 or so on the patio, if it's 100f, the patio might hit 80. Just doesn't range outside of that.

Happily, my existing RO/DI system is about 10 feet from where I'm wanting to put this. I use a direct ATO system without a reservoir on my existing reef. I'd do something similar here. Don't worry, I'm an automation engineer... Fail Safe is a personal mantra :D

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was planning on a 3 sided surround, free standing. Should be able to drag the entire thing out away from the tub for maintenance. I'm an old fat guy... access is important, and I'm unwilling to do much in the way of gymnastics to clean the tank.

Filtration: Planned on a 100g rubbermaid tote I already have, suspended on a platform behind and above the display as a reverse flow sump. Pump water up to the sump, let if overflow back via gravity. I'm a big believer in macro algae as filtration. Put a decent macro algae light over the tote, add Chaetomorpha, amphipods, copepods, let it age. My current reef runs that way, no skimmer, just chaeto, water changes, and the only additive I use is Kalkwasser.

A couple big Tunze powerheads to keep the water moving, should be simple and effective.
Depending on placement of the tote you could run a pond pump into the tote and have it waterfall back in.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on placement of the tote you could run a pond pump into the tote and have it waterfall back in.
My bedroom is a window away from this patio. It'd be cool, but the sound of running water while I'm sleeping? I'd have to sleep in the bathroom :D

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bedroom is a window away from this patio. It'd be cool, but the sound of running water while I'm sleeping? I'd have to sleep in the bathroom :D
Placement of rocks along the way and positioning of the light could reduce sound and create an algae scrubber.

Either way very cool idea. Make sure to create a build thread for the project.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placement of rocks along the way and positioning of the light could reduce sound and create an algae scrubber.

Either way very cool idea. Make sure to create a build thread for the project.
Definitely, we'll be very sad if you do this without a build thread!

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have to deal with the humidity to keep everything from molding. When the temp hits 60 your going to have fog in that room. I had a similar system running in my basement and it worked fine. You can hit those with a hammer and they won't break extremely sturdy.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have to deal with the humidity to keep everything from molding. When the temp hits 60 your going to have fog in that room. I had a similar system running in my basement and it worked fine. You can hit those with a hammer and they won't break extremely sturdy.
Used to be a hot tub in this room (it's outside now). The exhaust fan from that time is still in place. Don't run it anymore, but if it needs to be run a certain amount of time, or certain time of year, not a big deal.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back