Thinking of leaving the hobby

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you gave it some good time and effort. I would say you sound like your at the break it down point. Get it off your mind for a while but like others have said keep the gear.

If you start to get the itch again then slowly put money into the equipment that will make you happy with a new tank. Take your time and let the excitement build. Then when time place and budget allows start again.

Thunderrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started in this hobby around 20yrs ago. During that time I’ve definitely taken some breaks. Some forced due to health reasons and other by choice, similar to what you’re feeling now.

My advice would be to do whatever makes you happy. If that’s tearing the tank down then so be it. Just don’t be too quick to sell all your gear. You may find that a short break and a tank reset was all you needed to get excited about the hobby again. Either way best of luck with whatever path you choose.
Tank reset is what I've been thinking for myself. I've been in the hobby 2 years and now that I have acquired knowledge and experience I can see in my tank where I could have done things better and it drives me crazy. I'm contemplating breaking down and selling my current livestock to my LFS for some credit, cleaning up my tank and restarting knowing what I know now.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated, leaving does not mean forever. That being said, when I left the hobby 12 years ago, it was a combination of losng interest, having two jobs and raising my kids through their teenage years (when I bowed out, they were 12 and 14 --- Girl and Boy). As I am extremely family oriented, I considered continuation to be more of a selfish act than not. But my point is, one needs to have the TIME to deal with a Reef. And for me, even knowing I made the right decision, I STILL missed and regretted the decision. But now I'm nearing retirement and my kids are grown. Thus, I can be a tad selfish now!

Last edited:

Dread Pirate Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank reset is what I've been thinking for myself. I've been in the hobby 2 years and now that I have acquired knowledge and experience I can see in my tank where I could have done things better and it drives me crazy. I'm contemplating breaking down and selling my current livestock to my LFS for some credit, cleaning up my tank and restarting knowing what I know now.
Sometimes a clean reboot is what's needed to get a person motivated. :)

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if its feasible or not but maybe see if someone can come in and handle the maintenance side of things? Even if its once a month or something. You could look at some auto feeders/frozen defrosters that attach to the side of the tank. Anything really that can be automated or a time saver. I've found when life gets overwhelming if I can have help with the 'chore' aspects of it some of the dread goes away to do other stuff. Worse case maybe see if you can get store credit for your fish and keep the tank/equipment in the garage in case you want to start back up?

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s been going on for a while and it feel’s more like work i think you should pull the plug and get out now, are you taking any medication, reason i ask i started taking those shots for weight loss back in June and I’ve felt like total crap since i started taking those shots both physically and mentally, i feel like a slug i don’t want to do anything i have no energy to do anything, I’m just doing bear minimum on my tanks it’s a total drag

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this advice!

I would like to add this.

If you go out, go out on top! Meaning...get your tank in great shape with a good cleaning so that it's nice to look at again and then with a clear head you can make a better decision. I hate having grass sometimes until it's mowed! :p
Great advice! This way, that nice clean tank is what will be the memory that may bring you back one day. And If not, you still have that memory of what a great looking tank you achieved!

irischan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mate I am more worried about you. Sudden lost of interest with no reason could be serious. Sometimes there is any significant pressure on you like health, family or financial issue but you may not actually be aware of.

rtparty

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I was there back in May and sold everything off. My tank was absolutely thriving but I had no care or desire to keep going. It was nothing but a chore and zero enjoyment. Like you, I will not be setting up another tank for years, if I ever do. It certainly won't be in my current home with my current tank (I have converted it into a dart frog vivarium.)

The truth is only you will really know if it is time to take a break but if it helps at all, I don't miss having a tank one bit. The responsibility just wasn't worth it any longer for me

Reef By Steele

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Lots of different but in my opinion all solid advice. The thing that sticks out to me the most is again the lack of desire. I would assess if this is only related to the tank, or to more of life. If only the tank, probably a good idea to move on at least for now. If this lack of desire hold through more areas of your life, I would seriously consider talking to someone before making any changes. You don’t want to turn around in a few weeks and realize that losing the tank increases that feeling of desire.
I was out for quite a stretch due to family and financial considerations, but kept my tanks and often wanted to start up again. When I finally did, they bring out whole family joy. But I agree, it is a lot of work so it really needs to be a desire.

mizukage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting out is not a forever decision. I left in 2018, and sold everything. Got back in around 2022. The only initial rub was I did not keep any equipment, but that turns out ok because equipment got better in 2 years. Cost me a little more, but I would not change the path. Upon my return, the real differentiator in level of success was real ocean live rock. Check my tank thread. It has been a real journey.

My point is that this not a forever decision.
When you say real ocean live rock, is it rock that was taken from the ocean and kept wet and alive all the way to the store ? I’m assuming panning to get in the hobby and want to give myself the best chance. I had planned to use dry Marco rock for my aquascape. Appreciate any advice good sir !

fishsir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quit the hobby 20 years ago (I used to have a 50g reef tank). The hair algae got out of control, and I sold everything. Now I'm interested in getting a 1g AIO mini reef tank to have some fun again.

shrimplover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re allowed and should allow yourself to quit - for now. Sell the fish but keep the gear. You never know when you want to get in again ‍

I think your feelings are absolutely normal and we have all been there with our tanks or other hobbies. Sometimes you just need a break!! ❤️

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No shame in shutting things down if the hobby is more work and frustration than fun. If you do go that route, consider keeping the live rock in a plastic tub in moving, heated saltwater in your garage. That way if you decide to jump back in, you’ll still have the cycled rock (it’s brutal trying to find real live rock these days).

If you want to stay in but hate the maintenance, consider turning your reef into a FOWLR with a fleece roller, an ATO and an auto feeder. You can’t get much lower maintenance than with that setup.

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respect and understand your decision.
At 55 I realize I've done a lot of things I didn't want to do that brought me stress and anxiety.
I don't want to do that anymore.
Life is short.
Be happy.
You have my support.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say real ocean live rock, is it rock that was taken from the ocean and kept wet and alive all the way to the store ? I’m assuming panning to get in the hobby and want to give myself the best chance. I had planned to use dry Marco rock for my aquascape. Appreciate any advice good sir !
There are a few legal mariculture operations around. I had great success withe Tampa Bay Saltwater. Might be tough to get in Toronto...

https://tbsaltwater.com/product-category/live-rock/

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mate I am more worried about you. Sudden lost of interest with no reason could be serious. Sometimes there is any significant pressure on you like health, family or financial issue but you may not actually be aware of.
You are 100% correct just didn’t want to get into that on here and bring everyone down haha. Truly appreciate that! It’s people like you that make me want to stay

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back