Third time better be the charm

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently there are 3 running tanks. 40g IM aio cube in my office upstairs (I work from home full time) 180g mixed reef with 40g basement sump. 40g FW.
Other hobbies include beekeeping, scuba diving, classic cars.
Slow down not likely at this stage in life. I have lived more then the time I have left so I am going all in on most everything. There will be no regrets when it's all done.
I do take things slow. I over research, over engineer and over analyze most everything. I freeze when it's time to act and can't make a decision with out months of thinking about it. So I don't think this new one will be any different.
Welcome btw and thanks for following.
Well even when you live a full life you still get regrets that called living. But you’re definitely a hard core reefer . The bees are good honey bees wax candles selling splits I think over in the uk about £300 a split five frames over wintered love them bees . Swimming I can swim for my life but for leisure I would sink lol.
Great to see someone living life to the full but you can have a tea break sometimes

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So dream fish for the fowlr is a Picasso trigger but may be "too agressive". So for 120 may work but may go a bit bigger (150) because well you know. Mission this week is to pull more honey and demo the ceiling in the basement to see what we have to work with.
Below grade:
1000011866.jpg

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So dream fish for the fowlr is a Picasso trigger but may be "too agressive". So for 120 may work but may go a bit bigger (150) because well you know. Mission this week is to pull more honey and demo the ceiling in the basement to see what we have to work with.
Below grade:
1000011866.jpg
I would say figure out what is your dream fish list and buy tank size accordingly, otherwise you will wish you went bigger

Aqua62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below grade:
1000011866.jpg
I'm going to be an instigator then.
Go half way on your thoughts for tank size, LFS is having a special this month:
1719852710288.png
I can roll by and check it out for you, if you want. The store is only a few minutes away.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1719852710288.png
I can roll by and check it out for you, if you want. The store is only a few minutes away.
Omg this just may work. Which shop??? salty critters? Just need the tank but this is a hard deal to pass up. Wonder if they would drill it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1719852710288.png
Bluefish is also running a sale 25% off standard glass tanks......10% off kits.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if your 180 is standard 72x24x24"? Going from 24" to 30" front to back depth is huge IME. I had my 330 set up next to my old 180 and the 180 looked tiny. Scaping is so much easier too. Fish can swim around the rocks instead of back and forth in front of them. I could not get there in the 180. I upgraded for the fish even though it's not fowlr. IMO for a fowlr I would go as big as I could. Can put small fish in a big tank but not the other way. Get em little and grow them out. It's so much fun growing little ones out and easier than trying to add larger fish and hope they get along. IME they just figure things out when they are all small. Not so much when they are older and have been bounced around just trying to survive.
Old guy ramblings.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't go that big. I wouldn't be able to fit it in the house.
It'll fit, between you and the man ,you can make it happen... ;) :)

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am tearing out the basement ceiling tomorrow. We will see what we are working with then. I know we would need some bracing because this one would NOT be running across floor joists. The 180 does and we still used 4 jacks. This is running with the joists so I just need to see if the are 16's or smaller.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if your 180 is standard 72x24x24"? Going from 24" to 30" front to back depth is huge IME. I had my 330 set up next to my old 180 and the 180 looked tiny. Scaping is so much easier too. Fish can swim around the rocks instead of back and forth in front of them. I could not get there in the 180. I upgraded for the fish even though it's not fowlr. IMO for a fowlr I would go as big as I could. Can put small fish in a big tank but not the other way. Get em little and grow them out. It's so much fun growing little ones out and easier than trying to add larger fish and hope they get along. IME they just figure things out when they are all small. Not so much when they are older and have been bounced around just trying to survive.
Old guy ramblings.
Yes the 180g is a standard one. I would love something a bit more shallow tbh. I wish I could do over 300 but I just don't think I could get away with it. There is a budget I need to be mindful of.....

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the 180g is a standard one. I would love something a bit more shallow tbh. I wish I could do over 300 but I just don't think I could get away with it. There is a budget I need to be mindful of.....
I would go low if you are doing custom. I went with WB because they had the footprint I wanted but dang is it tall.

EDIT : top down view would be awesome. I never new why blue green chromis had that name untill I saw then from above.

Last edited:

Aqua62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg this just may work. Which shop??? salty critters? Just need the tank but this is a hard deal to pass up. Wonder if they would drill it?
Its RMS. I'll stop by tomorrow(should get off work a little earlier) and check it out. I myself am partially interested in it too(especially dimension wise), always wanted to put a second tank in. I doubt they would do any drilling , they are probably not capable of doing, they are similar to a Petsmart just on a larger scale focusing on the fish side of business not all the other pets included.

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its RMS. I'll stop by tomorrow(should get off work a little earlier) and check it out. I myself am partially interested in it too(especially dimension wise), always wanted to put a second tank in. I doubt they would do any drilling , they are probably not capable of doing, they are similar to a Petsmart just on a larger scale focusing on the fish side of business not all the other pets included.
being a seapora tank it should already be pre drilled i would expect. This is the company that bought deep blue. i had many of their tanks over the years. great tanks for the price.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet yes let me know what you think and I may make a trip over this weekend!! Thanks for the tip.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still haven't gotten to tear out the ceiling. Yet. It's supposed to storm tomorrow so will do it then since I'll be stuck inside.
The bees amaze me. All these frames were in the same box. They show just how different honey looks in the frames. That's why mine is a "blend" normally as well.
1000011932.jpg
1000011933.jpg
1000011934.jpg

Last edited:

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still haven't gotten to tear out the ceiling. Yet. It's supposed to storm tomorrow so will do it then since I'll be stuck inside.
The bees amaze me. All these frames were in the same box. They show just how different honey looks in the frames. That's why mine is a "blend" normally as well.
1000011932.jpg
1000011933.jpg
1000011934.jpg
bees pooh GIF

DO YOU PRIORITIZE YOUR TANK AFTER A LONG DAY?

• Yes, my tank helps me with day-to-day stress relief.

Votes: 37 39.8%
  • Yes, even if I don't feel like it.

Votes: 14 15.1%
  • It depends on the day.

Votes: 30 32.3%
  • No, I'll try to save my "tank work" for a different day.

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back