OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all say zero. What are they supposed to say?

As a further debugging step, can you swap ports with that pump and something else? Does it follow the pump or the port?

I have some ideas but without being close to a current limit it may be as something as boring as a dodgy wire. Or if its stays on the port, an actual hardware defect (will swap out the unit if thats the case since I want to know why)

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for the thread, the behavior of a port in over current is to toggle off the port for 7.5 seconds, and then try turning it back on. For a maximum of 10 times. The OCP count for the port will go up. The port will actually generally switch off within a few milliseconds at short circuit levels, but the off/on toggle is needed to reset it. A true short circuit is indicated currently by a momentary current reading of about 4.75A.

Nothing is indicating that is happening here :)

ashburn2k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine def triggered since it keeps on maxing out the amp to 5-6 :D. ( I tried to plug my light that demands 4-6A from time to time but lately it just decided to use 5A or more )

Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 10.23.03 AM.png

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw @theatrus, home assistant says there's new firmware that can be updated, but fails when i tried to update them.

Hmmm, I haven't tested the ESPHome YAML with the new release yet. They did make a few changes which I don't think are backwards compatible in the structure, namely this one: https://esphome.io/changelog/2024.6.0.html#ota-platforms

If you adopted the device into the ESPHome dashboard you can try swapping the config for ota: [blank] to

ota:
platform: esphome

Will test this later.

masterofstuff124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have the buddy, but my esp devices sometimes seem to get in update loops. constantly requesting to update but failing to actually do it. Restart usually fixes it, but I often just ignore the updates and then some later one will clear. staying on the update page also can help. I can always upload fresh yaml or reflash with esphome without issue. Ive just been ignoring it. Sorry if this isnt your issue just sharing my experiences with HA.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have the buddy, but my esp devices sometimes seem to get in update loops. constantly requesting to update but failing to actually do it. Restart usually fixes it, but I often just ignore the updates and then some later one will clear. staying on the update page also can help. I can always upload fresh yaml or reflash with esphome without issue. Ive just been ignoring it. Sorry if this isnt your issue just sharing my experiences with HA.

The ESPHome dashboard can be a bit weird in regards to the updates. General advice is to ignore it sometimes :)

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6135.jpeg

Doing some firmware development on the battery module, using TI’s evaluation board for the bq25756. Looking good with lots of flexibility. There will have to be a few jumper selection options for battery voltage (12V/24V) and max current (sized by battery). Very nice little charger and programmable power supply.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
================================
Important Information

- Documentation site: https://reefvolt.com/

- Documentation and open hardware/firmware files are on GitHub:

- Ready to use boards are now in early access! DM me for details.

- Latest update:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tired-of-ac-bricks-try-the-dcbuddy.1009642/post-12509646

Start of the development blog! See above for quick links ^^^

I'm building out a nano aquarium and my under-stand real estate is sparse. One of the big contributors to bloat is the infinite numbers of AC/DC bricks which come with every device (and most devices are now DC powered). All the Vortechs have one. The skimmer DC pump has one. The top-off pump has one. The list goes on. You're swimming in AC outlets and cords and bricks and cable management nightmares...

You could just use one power brick, but you risk losing everything if that brick fails. And you still will have different devices at different voltages. And you don't want one bad device to take down everything...

Enter the DCBuddy!

I whipped up the DCBuddy to solve my problems of:

- Accepting 2 power supplies in and use an Ideal-Diode OR to use both supplies. Input is barrel jack, DIN-4 (see: Meanwell OWA-120U-24), or 4 pin Microfit (see: APEX 1Link).
- Distribute 24V power from the input to multiple outputs.
- Step down 24V to 12V, on multiple outputs. 5A total.
- Step down 24V to 5V, on multiple outputs. 5A total.
- Accept the Neptune Apex 1Link power input from an EB32 (CAN+24V), distribute the CAN bus to the other 24V ports.

Each outlet is also short circuit protected, up to about 2.3A (enough for most smaller pumps, 50W for 24V). The 5V power is supplied on USB A outlets (no resistor setting, no data, just power), each port there is limited to 2A (run a Raspberry Pi).

Boards ordered, lets see how well it works! :)

This is a nice idea!

But with individual bricks, if one fails, the rest of the equipment continues to operate.

If the "DC Buddy" fails, everything shuts down.

Have you considered this?

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a nice idea!

But with individual bricks, if one fails, the rest of the equipment continues to operate.

If the "DC Buddy" fails, everything shuts down.

Have you considered this?

Yes, absolutely. This is why the redundant input hub is coming up - two power supplies, or mix in a battery. We're still in the early teething issues here with DCBuddy, but that's coming soon :)

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for the thread, the behavior of a port in over current is to toggle off the port for 7.5 seconds, and then try turning it back on. For a maximum of 10 times. The OCP count for the port will go up. The port will actually generally switch off within a few milliseconds at short circuit levels, but the off/on toggle is needed to reset it. A true short circuit is indicated currently by a momentary current reading of about 4.75A.

Nothing is indicating that is happening here :)
It happens everyday at 8:13 lol. Can it be related to the DC buddy? I checked my apex and can’t find anything triggering it to do that. I have the Vectras controlled by Apex

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens everyday at 8:13 lol. Can it be related to the DC buddy? I checked my apex and can’t find anything triggering it to do that. I have the Vectras controlled by Apex

Well thats _super weird_. Technically the DCBuddy doesn't synchronize a clock (basically didn't turn that feature on) so it would have to be a coincidence from the start/boot time.

Have you had a chance to observe if it powers fully off, or just flow stops?

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 9.7%
Back