To trust my LFS or not to trust my LFS

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am looking to add fish to my 100 gallon aquarium(60×18 X 22in) on Thursday. I did just do a 82 day Fishless period At 81°F to treat for ich and flukes. this time I will be choosing a different local fish store. I just so happen to volunteer at this store and got to know how the store runs and what they do with fish as well as the owners philosophy on quarantine his fish. He does not quarantine his own personal fish and a few of the wholesalers we buy from quarantine for two weeks before the fish are available on the website. Now, I understand that two weeks isn’t enough time to quarantine, but it’s less risky. The store does not overstock their tanks at all Too large UV sterilizers are run in conjunction with each other. A new shipment of fish arrives on Thursday and I leave right before the fish go into the cell tanks. What I was planning to do purchase the fish before they go into the tanks and then added it to my tank. In an ideal world I would purchase these fish before they go into the Celt tanks and quarantine, but here’s the issue. I am not a legal adult and I do not own my house. I pitched the idea of quarantining fish in my house far away from my display tank listed off the medication I will be using in the process. Both of my parents said no, but I explained how I been 60 days but ultimately it is their house so their rules not much I can do about it lol. Anyways I looked into purchasing pre-quarantine fish online, but I refuse to pay $50 for shipping.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am looking to add fish to my 100 gallon aquarium(60×18 X 22in) on Thursday. I did just do a 82 day Fishless period At 81°F to treat for ich and flukes. this time I will be choosing a different local fish store. I just so happen to volunteer at this store and got to know how the store runs and what they do with fish as well as the owners philosophy on quarantine his fish. He does not quarantine his own personal fish and a few of the wholesalers we buy from quarantine for two weeks before the fish are available on the website. Now, I understand that two weeks isn’t enough time to quarantine, but it’s less risky. The store does not overstock their tanks at all Too large UV sterilizers are run in conjunction with each other. A new shipment of fish arrives on Thursday and I leave right before the fish go into the cell tanks. What I was planning to do purchase the fish before they go into the tanks and then added it to my tank. In an ideal world I would purchase these fish before they go into the Celt tanks and quarantine, but here’s the issue. I am not a legal adult and I do not own my house. I pitched the idea of quarantining fish in my house far away from my display tank listed off the medication I will be using in the process. Both of my parents said no, but I explained how I been 60 days but ultimately it is their house so their rules not much I can do about it lol. Anyways I looked into purchasing pre-quarantine fish online, but I refuse to pay $50 for shipping.
If you cant QT your own fish, you're always taking a chance. Sounds like the wholesaler is more conditioning the fish as opposed to QT. And I'd be a bit wary of trusting the wholesaler. There's benefit to being able to observe the fish before purchase. They have likely all come from the same system or at the very least were cross-contaminated. Honestly, if you're worried, pay the $50 shipping and worry a whole lot less.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't just trust the lfs. Quarantine is always recommended. Even for people who buy pre quarantined, it's still recommended to have an observation period before adding to display.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50$ sh is the norm these days. Some places cover the sh charge if you make a min order of 250 or 300

It’s a small price to pay if you want to be safe. And most places actually lose money on the sh as overnight shcan actually cost 70-150, plus cost of the box, styrofoam lining, bags, and employees time to catch and bag the fish

OP
OP
TortillaMan

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you cant QT your own fish, you're always taking a chance. Sounds like the wholesaler is more conditioning the fish as opposed to QT. And I'd be a bit wary of trusting the wholesaler. There's benefit to being able to observe the fish before purchase. They have likely all come from the same system or at the very least were cross-contaminated. Honestly, if you're worried, pay the $50 shipping and worry a whole lot less.
I’ve been at this place for 3 weeks now and I’ve seen 3 shippments come in. Everything looked healthy and when by the next Wednesday when I’m there the fish all seem alive and healthy still. I could try and ask if I can QT again but the problem is that I’d have to shell out like 150 bucks for the whole set up.

OP
OP
TortillaMan

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50$ sh is the norm these days. Some places cover the sh charge if you make a min order of 250 or 300

It’s a small price to pay if you want to be safe. And most places actually lose money on the sh as overnight shcan actually cost 70-150, plus cost of the box, styrofoam lining, bags, and employees time to catch and bag the fish
Yes shipping is expensive but as a high school student that extra 50 bucks or so adds up very quickly. Plus I will already be getting a discount or wholesale price for volunteering there anyways. For my wallet I can’t beat that.

OP
OP
TortillaMan

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't just trust the lfs. Quarantine is always recommended. Even for people who buy pre quarantined, it's still recommended to have an observation period before adding to display.
My boss has been to the whole sale facilities in LA where he gets the fish and a good chunk of them seemingly use some form of medication that turns the water green. Seems to be some kind of anti bacterial/parasite medication. I can ask again to QT but it’ll be around 150 for the whole setup. Can I get away with not doing water changes on the QT tank or as needed?

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My boss has been to the whole sale facilities in LA where he gets the fish and a good chunk of them seemingly use some form of medication that turns the water green. Seems to be some kind of anti bacterial/parasite medication. I can ask again to QT but it’ll be around 150 for the whole setup. Can I get away with not doing water changes on the QT tank or as needed?
Likely malachite green. Not a full QT, that's for sure. You don't need to do water changes if you don't have an ammonia issue.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes shipping is expensive but as a high school student that extra 50 bucks or so adds up very quickly. Plus I will already be getting a discount or wholesale price for volunteering there anyways. For my wallet I can’t beat that.
That extra $50 up fromt looks like small potatoes when you lose fish. Fish losses add up quick. Just keep that in mind.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That extra $50 up fromt looks like small potatoes when you lose fish. Fish losses add up quick. Just keep that in mind.

And when fish losses spike parameters and lead to coral losses well…now you are at total loss.

LFS don’t properly qt because it costs them space, time, and money. My LFS told me their supplier qt all fish before shipping them. I poked and prodded and found out what that means. The supplier puts things in copper for a few days before shipping. A few days is not enough, it only covers certain things, and they couldn’t tell me the level of copper used. Could be a half dosage. Who knows. It’s not proper qt

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And when fish losses spike parameters and lead to coral losses well…now you are at total loss.

LFS don’t properly qt because it costs them space, time, and money. My LFS told me their supplier qt all fish before shipping them. I poked and prodded and found out what that means. The supplier puts things in copper for a few days before shipping. A few days is not enough, it only covers certain things, and they couldn’t tell me the level of copper used. Could be a half dosage. Who knows. It’s not proper qt
Most LFS and wholesalers are benefitted by suppressing issues long enough to flip them. It's an unfortunate truth. That said, there are some good ones out there. Just few and far between.

JK_Nert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will never trust a LFS again do your own research and put yourself in there shoes, they are trying to sell you the item not induce fear into you

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back