OP
R

Ricox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

love my dart gobies! I had 5 or 6, 2 or 3 were kamakazi jumpers (who managed to jump during times when i took off the lid and didn't notice) but the remaining 3 or 4 are great. I will get more when i have a chance. Much easier to care for than anthias (who need to eat multiple times a day or will usually die off) and chromas also seem to not last long. One other schooling top dweller that i like is pajama cardinals - hardy and fun to watch.
As in firefish or the zebra dart gobies?

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a school of 11 chromis in my 5 ft tank. They have been together for 9 months and they all get along great. They swim at the top front portion of the tank which encourages all the other fish to be out and about. When I walk up to the talk the chromis crowd around the feeding port hoping for food. I have a male Bimac anthia which chases them around every so often which helps ensure the chromis don't get too comfortable and start picking each other off.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
The reason for losing them mainly being aggression towards each other? If I were to get anthias how many would you reccomned and any particular species recommendations.
Odd numbers on anthias. . . 1.3.5 and s forth sand yes, aggressive male. If you buy 3 girls, on will change to male

OP
OP
R

Ricox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some species transition young. Really my advice is to not be sucked in by a pretty male or super-male that’s twice the price of a dull female. That female will gain the same colors soon enough and is more likely to be healthy and live longer
Great to know, is it a certainty that the female will transition to a male? As I have bought a fairy wrasse before that stayed pretty dull.

OP
OP
R

Ricox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a school of 11 chromis in my 5 ft tank. They have been together for 9 months and they all get along great. They swim at the top front portion of the tank which encourages all the other fish to be out and about. When I walk up to the talk the chromis crowd around the feeding port hoping for food. I have a male Bimac anthia which chases them around every so often which helps ensure the chromis don't get too comfortable and start picking each other off.
Sounds like a school of chromis might work with one male anthias? The only real agressive fish in my tank is my coral beauty. Do you think it will be enough to keep them occupied and not attacking each other?

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a school of chromis might work with one male anthias? The only real agressive fish in my tank is my coral beauty. Do you think it will be enough to keep them occupied and not attacking each other?
I am not sure since I have never owned a coral beauty. Anthias are good for the boss role since in a group one naturally rises to become a male and keeps the others female by chasing them around. I have two Bimacs, one is male and the other female. The male primarily chases around the chromis and the female Bimac once in a while.

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to know, is it a certainty that the female will transition to a male? As I have bought a fairy wrasse before that stayed pretty dull.
Eventually. If you have multiple they will transition earlier and show brighter colors

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back