Torch coral left its skeleton

Chad Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this green torch coral for about 5 months now. It's been happy always swaying with its tentacles out. Well 3 days ago I came to feed my fish and it was gone. All there was left was the skeleton and frag plug. Its glued into a spot so its always been there. Well today when I was moving some rocks while i cleaned and did a water change, i found him. Still puffed up and tentacles fully extended. I just assumed that he had been eaten by some of my fish. I do have a trigger fish in there after all. So I quickly picked it up and put it inside of a turbo snails shell and put it in a low flow area. I thought this was one of the weirdest things. Has anyone else ever had this happen?

OP
OP
C

Chad Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont mind that snail on the Skelton. And didn't have my filter to take pictures so kind of blue.
20190607_171001.jpeg
20190607_170942.jpeg

OP
OP
C

Chad Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, he shriveled up inside the snail shell because I picked him up out of the water to inspect him more closely. If he extends again I'll upload a picture

OP
OP
C

Chad Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Torch still has all of its color. Is still pretty tiny but looks healthy. It's still inside of the turbo snails shell.

Rjukan

Broken
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read of polyp bailout in torches and hammers, but i haven't experienced it first hand myself. If you search for polyp bailout you will find more info. Goodluck!

webmanny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Polyp bailout. I had one do this one me and I've seen a few in my years of reefing. Unfortunately, I have yet to see one recover long term. I hope yours makes it. Good luck.

WHAT AREA OF REEFING IS YOUR WEAKEST? EXPLAIN YOUR ANSWER IN THE COMMENTS!

• Chemistry and Nutrient Knowledge and Management.

Votes: 26 45.6%
  • Disease and Pest Control.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Livestock Care.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Technology and Equipment Knowledge.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 11 19.3%
Back