Trace elements with Randy’s 2/3 part

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am dosing Randy’s 2/3 part with sodium hydroxide - with great success. Total water vol approx 210g.

I also do a daily automatic water change of 3 gallons daily (3 gallons of Fritz RPM). Not sure this is enough long term for trace elements.

How do I add trace elements? Can I mix a trace elements product into one of the solutions? Which product and into which solution and how much?

In detail I dose 300ml CaCl₂, 300ml NaOH, and 48 ml MgCl₂+MgSO₄ .. this seems to balance my alk at 10dkh and Ca at 380

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will depend on the product, but if it were me I would dose separately. I’m not familiar with all the products but I imagine they aren’t dosed continuously like your big 3. And many would argue that they aren’t needed at all with sufficient regular water changes. If you are trying to remove water changes, by all means dose trace, but thought I’d throw that out there…

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am dosing Randy’s 2/3 part with sodium hydroxide - with great success. Total water vol approx 210g.

I also do a daily automatic water change of 3 gallons daily (3 gallons of Fritz RPM). Not sure this is enough long term for trace elements.

How do I add trace elements? Can I mix a trace elements product into one of the solutions? Which product and into which solution and how much?

In detail I dose 300ml CaCl₂, 300ml NaOH, and 48 ml MgCl₂+MgSO₄ .. this seems to balance my alk at 10dkh and Ca at 380

Some folks use Tropic Marin A and K, with A in the alk part and K in the calcium part.

rtparty

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What Randy said. Add TM elements A and K into your 2 part. My tank thread has some info and shows off my old tank using this method. I also used Tropic Marin Part C but your daily water changes should combat salinity rise

WhatCouldGoWrong71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’ve been dosing A and K, but not part of my 2 part. One of my tanks is on a CARX, so I put 2 ml of each in the tank daily. I too also do AWC. I probably don’t need to be doing the A and K, I’m doing 2 gallons a day in a 70g system. I’ve never done an ICP test, but everything is very happy and I keep having to turn my CARX up to keep up. But I’ll soon be consolidating this tank down with my other to 1. So I am not sure what I’ll be doing then.

Back