Trachyphillia weird attachments

lemur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-2FrjjIY56sRCFQ1HAbDxi3akDqnlaIs

My husband and I are rather new to the reefing world. We come from freshwater experience. Long story short, we got this trachyphillia not so long ago (attached link to the media) but we noticed something growing at the base skeleton of the coral. Any idea what it could be?

Unfortunately, we don’t know if this already came from the place we got it from or if it grew inside our tank. it has been in our tank for probably 3 weeks now.
Thank you for four time everyone.

OP
OP
lemur

lemur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally figured out how to attach the images here.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-2FrjjIY56sRCFQ1HAbDxi3akDqnlaIs

My husband and I are rather new to the reefing world. We come from freshwater experience. Long story short, we got this trachyphillia not so long ago (attached link to the media) but we noticed something growing at the base skeleton of the coral. Any idea what it could be?

Unfortunately, we don’t know if this already came from the place we got it from or if it grew inside our tank. it has been in our tank for probably 3 weeks now.
Thank you for four time everyone

Attachments

• IMG_2291.jpeg
    IMG_2291.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5631.jpeg
    IMG_5631.jpeg
    351.3 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
lemur

lemur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured out what they are. They are call vermeil snails. They are harmful as they produce a mucus net to catch food and this can irritate near by corals.

To remove them I put the coral outside the tank on a container with the same water from my tank, used a pair of tweezers and gently pulled them avoiding harming the coral structure.

Another option is to put reef safe glue and put a dip on the tip of the snail to sufffocate it and then remove it. With this technic just be careful not putting any glue on the flesh of the coral cause it can damage it.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Be safe and happy reefing.

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef and sorry nobody answered you before!

Yeah, those are Vermetid Snails - they're typically considered pests because some species reproduce very quickly in our tanks, and the mucus nets of some species can irritate corals; so it's generally recommended to remove them.

If you pull them off manually, you want to make sure you get the very bottom of the tube to ensure you get the snail.

OP
OP
lemur

lemur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After we pulled those out from the base, the coral got very stressed and lost a bit of its color. It also started to rip its mouth and more of the base was being exposed. We are not sure what to do. I am attaching an imagine of its current look.

It has 3 mouths. 1 tiny, 1 medium and 1 really big. The one seen in the picture it’s the biggest one and it’s like ripping.

Water parameters:
Salinity: 1.026
Temp: 79F
Calcium: 350
pH: 7.8
Nitrate: 5ppm
Ammonia: 0
Magnesium: 1350

IMG_5686.jpeg

OP
OP
lemur

lemur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a better picture from above. Turned off everything. It looks like a zombie :(

I really hope there is a way back from this.

Current plan is to bring the alkalinity levels down by 1 point so we can start dosing Seachem Marine Buffer to raise and maintain pH levels at 8.3.
Reason why we are lowering alkalinity by 1 point is because our current levels are 10 and the instructions on the buffer say that it can increase alkalinity by 1 point. We don’t want to create another issue by raising alkalinity too high

We are currently dosing Reef Code A to elevate calcium as well.

I really hope we are in the right track. We don’t want to lose our first trachy.
IMG_2356.jpeg

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back