Tunze 9004 DC issue - need help from those who know this unit

gregrock68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my tunze 9004 DC unit on my tank for weeks now and still not skimming, and I think something is not right with it. Maybe someone can help guide me

If I install the skimmer to the watermark on the back of the skimmer it will not generate any foam/ oxygenated water inside of the unit. It's as though the unit fills up with water and it will not produce any oxygenated water inside. Conversely, I lift the unit above the tunze water level line approximately 1 " (or more) above starts to produce oxygenated water inside of it, but the unit is very high out of the water. Certainly seems like something is not right, they air hose is fine, the unit is new but it seems like something is off internally? I've attached some pictures showing the tons of unit set at the recommended water level with a drowning in water and with it producing the oxygenated water with it lifted at least one inch above the water line. Appreciate any guidance on this

20240918_212214.jpg 20240918_212041.jpg 20240918_212034.jpg 20240918_211829.jpg

OP
OP
G

gregrock68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 9012 DC and it was doing a fine job. By looking at yours, it looks too high. Push it down until there is only a little bit of the grate outside of the water. Like 8-10 mm maybe.
That would have it above the tunze water line probably 1/2" to 3/4" - where I have it is where is needed to produce a strong oxygenated current inside. If I lower much it drowns out with water and no foam. I can't lower it, that's my issue, but I will try your suggestion

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would have it above the tunze water line probably 1/2" to 3/4" - where I have it is where is needed to produce a strong oxygenated current inside. If I lower much it drowns out with water and no foam. I can't lower it, that's my issue,
It’s been a while since I used it so I might be wrong.

Go on the Tunze forum and ask Roger (rvitko). He will answer you during business hours.

burban94

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second talking to Roger (rvito) at Tunze. You may be having the issues you are experiencing due to a weak pump. I had an issue with my pump and he handled it right away. Great customer service.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the black plug that would've been with the skimmer in a small bag? If so use it and plug the hole in the motor housing and it'll pull the water through the grills on the cup and see if that helps. That takes it out of counter current mode, If not sell it or junk it. IMHO and from my use of the 9004 DC skimmer they're garbage. I don't mean to sound crude but for the price we pay for them they should skim really well, but everyone I know that had one ditched it for something that actually works as intended and not needing to be constantly moved up and down to try and produce skimmate. Gl and hope you get it figured out.

OP
OP
G

gregrock68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the black plug that would've been with the skimmer in a small bag? If so use it and plug the hole in the motor housing and it'll pull the water through the grills on the cup and see if that helps. That takes it out of counter current mode, If not sell it or junk it. IMHO and from my use of the 9004 DC skimmer they're garbage. I don't mean to sound crude but for the price we pay for them they should skim really well, but everyone I know that had one ditched it for something that actually works as intended and not needing to be constantly moved up and down to try and produce skimmate. Gl and hope you get it figured out.
Yes, I have that baffle piece, I will try this. What I don't understand is why I have to keep it elevated 1.5" above the water's surface to create any internal foam, maybe it is a bad motor unit with a lack of power. I guess the baffle will be the tell-tale sign

OP
OP
G

gregrock68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second talking to Roger (rvito) at Tunze. You may be having the issues you are experiencing due to a weak pump. I had an issue with my pump and he handled it right away. Great customer service.
I will check with him. I appreciate the info!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back