OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess who we found, completely under the LPS rock on the right side of the tank.

20180314_155412.jpg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has to be a trigger food that will set him off like an lps or sps "additive" that will trigger his feeding response?

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wonder what will live in the skull now?

Hopefully Maui will find it again. I'm not sure about putting it back in the sand. With how deep the sand is, it'll keep sinking when Maui digs under it. I may try and find a way to mount it to the bottom of the tank, and have it elevated so it won't sink, or I leave it in the rocks where it is and build up the bottom so there is a floor inside for him to lay on. I'm leaning leaving it where it is...

20180314_160104.jpg
20180314_155753.jpg
20180314_155823.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has to be a trigger food that will set him off like an lps or sps "additive" that will trigger his feeding response?

It used to be the water from thawing out a piece of squid... I'll just keep an eye on him every time I feed the fish and whenever I see the happy head shaking I'll try and feed him. I was told that salmon will sometimes get a feeding responce where other food won't. No responce from him this morning. I was also told that they could go 6 months before they decide to eat again.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It used to be the water from thawing out a piece of squid... I'll just keep an eye on him every time I feed the fish and whenever I see the happy head shaking I'll try and feed him. I was told that salmon will sometimes get a feeding responce where other food won't. No responce from him this morning. I was also told that they could go 6 months before they decide to eat again.
I'm so glad I'm not an eel. I don't even like to go 6 days without a good burger, let alone without eating anything!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you like the skull so much that you got a second one for the deep blue.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you leave the skull where it is and drill out an access whole on right hand side? Is it ceramic? A diamond wholesaw bit should get through it i think but im terrible with tools. Just used a diamond bit to cut through wood. Eh, it worked amd saved me trip to the store.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you leave the skull where it is and drill out an access whole on right hand side? Is it ceramic? A diamond wholesaw bit should get through it i think but im terrible with tools. Just used a diamond bit to cut through wood. Eh, it worked amd saved me trip to the store.

It's acrylic, so it's even easier to drill. I don't need to do all that tho. There's a hole in the back he can use to get in. I'm actually thinking of building a floor with epoxy and including an access tunnel to go down into the rocks.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’d look awesome in the Deep Blue... if i saw him am hour ago ou know he’d be mine :)

https://m.liveaquaria.com/product/2284/girdled-fairy-wrasse?pcatid=2284&c=15+1378+2284

Don't tempt me dude... the money I have right now is going with me to Reef Dreams Saturday. I can't tell you how many I've sat on... pin tail fairy, mccoskers flasher... that one you just showed me.

After we get back I'm going to see how much a custom cover will cost. There's a few companies I looked at, one is artful acrylic I think. Then, I'll get another wrasse or two. I can't afford to feed my hardwoods beautiful wrasse. It's not really fair to the wrasse, either.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse, anthias and eels. Perfect combination... right?
I admire the fact you keep an eel, but I am not brave enough to do it myself! Wrasses and anthias though, amazing!

Not wanting a cheap window screen top?

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only wrasse in my current system is a 6-line. I've been so tempted to set up a smaller tank, around 100g to be wrasse dominant. They are amazing!
Thats pretty much where im headed Brew. I started with a 6 line as I loved the constant motion and aloofness of the movement. Wound up evicting him cuz he was a jerk but i was hooked. Ill be up to 6 across three tanks omce am order arrives Friday and plan to combine them all into a 150/180 within the next two years. Tangs are cool but Im a Wrasseman!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I don't get that Elos tank, I think my next build will be a 150g 48"×30"×24" custom build. Wrasse dominant with an eel cave tunnel system. With enough space I could keep two GDMs with a bunch of wrasse, or maybe one skeletor. Another year or two in the future for even starting that process tho.

I'm with @Scurvy... eels have always fascinated me from childhood, but once I discovered them, I two became a wrasseman. The color and the fluid movement in and out of the rocks with the occasional warp 13 dart to the other side of the tank.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not wanting a cheap window screen top?

I like the acrylic and screen tops they make, and I'd like to get it custom made to fit my corner overflow and the Kessil mounts. Plus, acrylic doesn't rust or corrode and leach metals into the tank. We've had enough problems with that for a lifetime.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the acrylic and screen tops they make, and I'd like to get it custom made to fit my corner overflow and the Kessil mounts. Plus, acrylic doesn't rust or corrode and leach metals into the tank. We've had enough problems with that for a lifetime.
There is that. I just found it cost prohibitive. I made my own screen top using the BRS kit and have been happy. Since the framing is aluminum, I don't worry if a little were to leach in.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't tempt me dude... the money I have right now is going with me to Reef Dreams Saturday. I can't tell you how many I've sat on... pin tail fairy, mccoskers flasher... that one you just showed me.

After we get back I'm going to see how much a custom cover will cost. There's a few companies I looked at, one is artful acrylic I think. Then, I'll get another wrasse or two. I can't afford to feed my hardwoods beautiful wrasse. It's not really fair to the wrasse, either.
Understood. We have nobody to blame but ourselves for jumpers. Artfully Avcrylic makes very nice lids (that what I went with) but the communication and customer service is lacking. Id consider Octolids when i need to get another.

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • My coral

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back