Undetectable Nitrates and Phosphates

sw6120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am having what I think may be an issue where my nitrates and phosphates are basically undetectable. To test for nitrates, I use a Salifert kit and for phosphates, a Hanna ULR checker. Below, I will post relevant info about tank and stocking.

Might anyone else deal with this issue or have any insight as to what may be going on?

Tank has been running for about a year

Tank: Fluval Evo 13.5
Filtration: Filter floss pad changed bi weekly
Chemical filtration: None
Skimmer: None

Tank Imhabitants

Coral (all corals look fine with decent growth and no sign of being upset)
- 6 hammer frags
- 2 Duncan’s
- GSP rock
- 2 zoa frags

Fish:
- 2 clownfish (fed everyday using omega one pellets)
- 1 cleaner shrimp

Parameters:
- pH: 8
- dKH: 8.8
- Ca: 415
- Mg: 1350
- Ammonia and Nitrite: 0

Algae:
- just bubble algae that covers a few of the rocks
- no Dino’s or cyano

Thanks!

mboley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's an issue. Easiest way is to add them directly using a chemical calculator such as Rotala Butterfly. Cheapest way is to buy some Sodium Nitrate and Sodium Phosphate.

OP
OP
S

sw6120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's an issue. Easiest way is to add them directly using a chemical calculator such as Rotala Butterfly. Cheapest way is to buy some Sodium Nitrate and Sodium Phosphate.
I’ve been reading that it’s an issue and debating whether to dose but it’s been like this for about 6 months and everything seems to be doing okay. Still worth dosing?

jrmailo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your corals doing well? Are they growing?

If so I see no reason for dosing. Gradually feed more and see how things go.

OP
OP
S

sw6120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your corals doing well? Are they growing?

If so I see no reason for dosing. Gradually feed more and see how things go.
The Zoas are producing new heads and the GSP is constantly growing. Duncan’s have acquired 4 new heads. The hammers are definitely surviving and looking extended but I’m not sure about growth. The definitely don’t seem unhappy however. I just cannot believe there aren’t nutrients being produced considering there are fish and there isn’t a skimmer.

jrmailo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have reached an equilibrium where your corals are intaking as much nutrients as you are putting in. This is a good place for a lot of folks since you are limiting nuisance algae growth.

However, as your corals grow, they will certainly need more nutrients, in which case feed slightly more.

mboley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been reading that it’s an issue and debating whether to dose but it’s been like this for about 6 months and everything seems to be doing okay. Still worth dosing?
That's what you've been reading because it's correct. No one on this forum is advocating zero levels. Your corals are surviving, but I'd guess not thriving.

OP
OP
S

sw6120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what you've been reading because it's correct. No one on this forum is advocating zero levels. Your corals are surviving, but I'd guess not thriving.
I see thanks. I guess if I wanted them to really grow, i would need to supplement

OP
OP
S

sw6120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have reached an equilibrium where your corals are intaking as much nutrients as you are putting in. This is a good place for a lot of folks since you are limiting nuisance algae growth.

However, as your corals grow, they will certainly need more nutrients, in which case feed slightly more.
I see thank you!

jrmailo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see thank you!
Whatever route you choose to increase your nutrients, I would do it very gradually and see how your tank reacts.

If you continue to see very low nutrient but more algae growth, I would scale back. Because this just means that the algae are the one taking advantage of the nutrient surplus.

OP
OP
S

sw6120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks for the advice. I have an SPS frag (ponape birds nest) in there that I forgot about and it’s growing new branches so I would assume that everything’s okay if that’s doing well

Back