UV Steralizer

garyhutchinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of adding a UV Sterilizer to our new Red Sea G2-850 (180 Gallon) tank that has two Reef Run 700 return pumps (Max 1900 gph). Looks like the Aqua 57 Watt is the one to install (minimum flow is 1066gph and the maximum is 3200gph) Just curious how most people install? Do I "T" it into one pump and just use a flow meter inline to tweak? OR, do I add another pump just for the sterilizer? If I run a separate pump, where should I pull suction from and then return to? Also, any input on appropriate flow rate? Lots of unanswered questions but hey, I'm learning. Thanks in advance for all the help, it's very much appreciated.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience, run a separate pump. Remember that flow rate will slow down over time as the pump gets clogged. Removing one pump to clean can make things easier. Also much easier to tweak. I run mine on a timer 4-5 hours a night so that I don’t kill everything off.
I run mine to kill off flukes that bother my blue tang.
I pull water from my center sump and it goes to a remote Refugium.
Why do you feel like you need UV?

OP
OP
G

garyhutchinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience, run a separate pump. Remember that flow rate will slow down over time as the pump gets clogged. Removing one pump to clean can make things easier. Also much easier to tweak. I run mine on a timer 4-5 hours a night so that I don’t kill everything off.
I run mine to kill off flukes that bother my blue tang.
I pull water from my center sump and it goes to a remote Refugium.
Why do you feel like you need UV?
Thanks for the reply, much appreciate.

I was thinking to run a UV as an ounce of prevention......just to be safe

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 53 25.0%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 92 43.4%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 54 25.5%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 13 6.1%
Back