Vacation Game Plan

mlove

Reefing Peasant
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys so I'm going to Bonaire for eight days to do some diving and need a plan to take care of the tank. Right now I'm doing manual top-offs of 6oz a day, dosing 7.5mL of Alk (BRS Recipe 1) a day, 5mL of Ca a day, and only dose magnesium every once in a while to keep it up around 1350. My plan right now is to mix half a gallon of distilled water with the required amount of Alk (approx. 80mL) and to use a BRS dosing pump (1.1ml/minute) to draw the water out of a gallon jug to take care of top-off and Alk. ((6oz)(1mL/0.033814023oz)+7.5mL)(1min/1.1mL)= 168min/day pumping time. My question is do you think the Alk will stay in solution or will it precipitate out of the water without something stirring it? Also do these calculations look good to everyone (who is willing to take the time to go through it)? I think we are going to try and just boost the calcium (up to approx 440ppm) and magnesium up a little before we leave and just let them be. We only drop about 7ppm/day of Ca and the Mg doesn't really fall quickly enough to worry about. I've got about a month and a half to work this out but would like to get things going to run some tests and make sure everything works as it should. Thanks guys!

- Miles

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 190 73.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.6%
Back