Vacation Recommendations

tmhickey2023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I’m heading out on a three week vacation. Have a 90 gallon mixed reef. I have the ATO handled for top offs and a plank feeder for auto feeding as well as dosing set up for Ca, Mg, Alk.

Any specific recommendations or issues anyone has had when leaving your reeef aquarium for over three weeks?

Thanks!

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello All,

I’m heading out on a three week vacation. Have a 90 gallon mixed reef. I have the ATO handled for top offs and a plank feeder for auto feeding as well as dosing set up for Ca, Mg, Alk.

Any specific recommendations or issues anyone has had when leaving your reeef aquarium for over three weeks?

Thanks!
Does your auto top off cover 3 weeks? I’m jealous if so. It’s always nice to have someone lined up to check in just in case you need eyes in a pinch.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the idea of a camera, I have one on my tank at all times. You should probably have someone available that knows how to handle an emergency situation like power outage. Do you have a generator for just in case situations? I have all of my cords labeled so if something goes out, I can have someone start my generator, then tell them which cords to unplug and plug into a strip operated off the generator.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a camera! I have one and it's a great peace of mind to have. I also have someone that comes and checks on the tank, feeds the livestock in there and makes sure the tank hasn't crashed

OP
OP
T

tmhickey2023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your auto top off cover 3 weeks? I’m jealous if so. It’s always nice to have someone lined up to check in just in case you need eyes in a pinch.
No it does not but I have someone coming to change the ATO reservoir every so often.
I like the camera idea.
Thanks all for the recommendations!

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, pay a pro. If you have a decent lfs that does maintenance, it should be trivial to get them to come by and check on things. I have inkbirds, ato, autodoser, autofeeders I hook up, etc. I also have a roku camera so I can keep an eye on the tanks t way. I leave extra water both fresh and premixed saltwater stored just in case. But I like to have the lfs come by and check up on things every 3 days or so. Just to feed the fish some frozen, and eyeball things to make sure everything is functioning properly. I think last time it was $25 bucks a visit if they don't have to do anything. If they're already nearby and just stopping in to eyeball it, then they might not even charge me. If anything needs attention then it would just be whatever their hourly rate is. Last time I was out of town, my power went out and I was concerned that everything came back on properly. So I called them and they were able to swing by and check on it a few hours later (everything came back on properly). Its a huge weight off my mind to know someone that knows what their doing is keeping an eye on things and that they're equipped to handle an emergency if need be. Most us have thousands of dollars in livestock, it's absolutely worth paying a pro to protect it if you can.

OP
OP
T

tmhickey2023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, pay a pro. If you have a decent lfs that does maintenance, it should be trivial to get them to come by and check on things. I have inkbirds, ato, autodoser, autofeeders I hook up, etc. I also have a roku camera so I can keep an eye on the tanks t way. I leave extra water both fresh and premixed saltwater stored just in case. But I like to have the lfs come by and check up on things every 3 days or so. Just to feed the fish some frozen, and eyeball things to make sure everything is functioning properly. I think last time it was $25 bucks a visit if they don't have to do anything. If they're already nearby and just stopping in to eyeball it, then they might not even charge me. If anything needs attention then it would just be whatever their hourly rate is. Last time I was out of town, my power went out and I was concerned that everything came back on properly. So I called them and they were able to swing by and check on it a few hours later (everything came back on properly). Its a huge weight off my mind to know someone that knows what their doing is keeping an eye on things and that they're equipped to handle an emergency if need be. Most us have thousands of dollars in livestock, it's absolutely worth paying a pro to protect it if you can.
What does everyone think of dropping my white lights to basically zero since nobody will be there to see the tank? Just leave the blues on at 70%?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everyone think of dropping my white lights to basically zero since nobody will be there to see the tank? Just leave the blues on at 70%?
Personally I think that’s a bad idea.
I would change nothing, especially PAR and spectrum.

Heat is so deadly.
My Inkbird will send an immediate notification of heat, outside the settings, and turn off the heat.

It will allow me to manually start, stop heat if required.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back