OP
OP
Things_With_Stings_Reef

Things_With_Stings_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my happy fat fish. Her name is Fish-Fish. I think she belongs in this thread.
PXL_20221018_234616756.MP.jpg
She definitely does! I love that these are venomous. I’ve not kept one before - do they show their fangs much?

OP
OP
Things_With_Stings_Reef

Things_With_Stings_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 large Black Lions and got stung removing one who died when my heater failed, I had him in a net and his body rolled and punctured my arm several times. Didn't really hurt that much but I was already ticked at him for dying. Had to call the posion hotline after my arm blew up and I looked like Popeye!
Hot soak in a sink full of dish soap. That and a motrin and all was good.
My Foxface got my wife and I think that was worse, had to take her to the ER.
How long did the swelling last?

OP
OP
Things_With_Stings_Reef

Things_With_Stings_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feed everyone? I have a few and some of them require direct stick feeding.

I can't imagine a goblin swimming up in the water column.
So it was hard to convert some of these to frozen. I did the usual method of skewering a live shrimp on a feeding stick and then slowly replacing with dead ones. Nearly all my fish will now eat off the substrate. The only one who is a bit fussy is the Rhinopias. That won’t eat off the substrate but will eat if something falls past its face.

The current goblin (and one other goblin I’ve kept) will swim to the surface seeking food when I turn the flow off!

OP
OP
Things_With_Stings_Reef

Things_With_Stings_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Things_With_Stings_Reef

Things_With_Stings_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow! Those are beautiful fish but the group shot looks like something out of the mind of Stephen King. LOL Perfect for Halloween. I have a tiny Coral Croucher scorp. He's one of my favs in the tank. I would love to have more but my tank is just a 5g. I think the pygmy rooster waspfish would be great but is probably still a wee bit too big for my tank.
Thanks!
how’s the coral croucher getting on? I’ve kept them before and always found them so hard to feed. I bet that’s much easier in a single species nano tank :)

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 foxes but how about my sea snake mimic.

6CC8B281-64F1-4805-8294-6AC04529345B_1_201_a.jpeg

All the beautiful stripes but none of the deadly venom!

Was thinking about adding some lions but this gal requires hand feeding and I'm too clumsy to risk it haha.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She definitely does! I love that these are venomous. I’ve not kept one before - do they show their fangs much?
Never seen them pop out. It looks more like she has a parrotfish beak. I have been wondering though about the fangs. I kinda wish they were bold colors like the triggers can have.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
how’s the coral croucher getting on? I’ve kept them before and always found them so hard to feed. I bet that’s much easier in a single species nano tank :)
My little Croucher (Waldo, as in Where's Waldo) is a model citizen. He's in a mixed thank with small gobies. I think to properly care for them they probably should be in a smaller tank for exactly the point you made.. tough to feed. Thankfully there is nowhere in my 5g that I can't see him so I just squirt food at him through a dropper. Fortunately for me he took up residence behind one of my upper powerheads so he's between the glass and the back of the powerhead so finding him and feeding him is easy but doing water changes is a pain because he's only about 2" below the surface. I keep my powerheads covered with protective mesh so at least he's safe up there and I can monitor his health very easily.

OP
OP
Things_With_Stings_Reef

Things_With_Stings_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 foxes but how about my sea snake mimic.

6CC8B281-64F1-4805-8294-6AC04529345B_1_201_a.jpeg

All the beautiful stripes but none of the deadly venom!

Was thinking about adding some lions but this gal requires hand feeding and I'm too clumsy to risk it haha.
I have skeletor moray in with my scorps. They all hate its clumsiness at feeding time!

OP
OP
Things_With_Stings_Reef

Things_With_Stings_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little Croucher (Waldo, as in Where's Waldo) is a model citizen. He's in a mixed thank with small gobies. I think to properly care for them they probably should be in a smaller tank for exactly the point you made.. tough to feed. Thankfully there is nowhere in my 5g that I can't see him so I just squirt food at him through a dropper. Fortunately for me he took up residence behind one of my upper powerheads so he's between the glass and the back of the powerhead so finding him and feeding him is easy but doing water changes is a pain because he's only about 2" below the surface. I keep my powerheads covered with protective mesh so at least he's safe up there and I can monitor his health very easily.
Sounds like you have a good one in the perfect tank for it. These often just disappear when added to a larger tank.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 101 42.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 48.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.3%
Back