Water fiiter or softner for tds.

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the 10" di resin under the sink. Doesn't last long. Maybe a week. I know I have hard water. Pex is what I have for piping. Do I need a wster softner, a filter system? I gave the rodi as well. What would be something on a budget?

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Large treatment plants soften the water before they push it through a reverse osmosis filter. This prolongs the life of the reverse osmosis part of it. I'm not precisely sure how it helps. Deionization resin.

OP
OP
K

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large treatment plants soften the water before they push it through a reverse osmosis filter. This prolongs the life of the reverse osmosis part of it. I'm not precisely sure how it helps. Deionization resin.
Hi. I change the resin myself. I know my water coming into into the house is 238 tds. I assume this a big part of the problem?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a whole house softener and filtration unit. I stopped using rodi years ago. I don’t think my tds was as high as yours though. My unit is equal to stage 1 and 2 of a standard 4 stage rodi. It could make your resin last considerably longer and purify and soften your homes water which has numerous benefits

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I change the resin myself. I know my water coming into into the house is 238 tds. I assume this a big part of the problem?
How much water are you making? My incoming TDS is 530 and when it hits the DI is 20. My resin last me an out 2-2.5 months. Might need a 6 stage with cation and anion with mixed bed resin.

Are you using just a DI filter or RO and DI filters?

OP
OP
K

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water are you making? My incoming TDS is 530 and when it hits the DI is 20. My resin last me an out 2-2.5 months. Might need a 6 stage with cation and anion with mixed bed resin.

Are you using just a DI filter or RO and DI filters?
I use a 5 stage rodi then a separate di. I make 40 gallons before it climbs.
Isn't 20 bad? I thought always o. If 20 is good, then I'll leave it be.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using mixed bed resin? Have you tested for TDS pre filter and post filters before the resin to see how effective your filtration is?

P.S. your not running ALL the water through the filtration are you? Or warm/hot water?

I know, it's captain obvious, but has to be asked.

OP
OP
K

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before the rodi(home water coming in) I'm getting 285 tds. At first, new resin, that I pack from a bag, I get 0 tds, after that it starts climbing. 5, 9, 12 etc. I hope this helps you.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand and can I install it myself?

Whirlpool WHESFC Pro Or Ecopure EPHS

Ecopure is the parent company and the whirlpool is just a rebranded ecopure. They are same unit

I hired a handyman to do my plumbing. He ended up having to leave the job and come back. He had a hand tool for crimping pex connectors and most leaked. He bought a battery powered pex tool and came back and redid the job and said it made things a ton easier and nothing leaked.

I didn’t have room for this filter so I had my hot water heater removed and replaced with a tankless, then the filter went in the former water heater spot.

I had my entire house plumbed into it because I want the hot and cold water filtered and softened

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 5 stage rodi then a separate di. I make 40 gallons before it climbs.
Isn't 20 bad? I thought always o. If 20 is good, then I'll leave it be.
My RO reduces 530 down to 20 before entering the DI mixed bed resin that I use. When it comes out it’s 0. I get about 120g out of my DI resin before TDS starts to climb. I change it when it hit 1-1.5 TDS. Mine is only a 4 stage saving up for the BRS 6 stage.

OP
OP
K

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RO reduces 530 down to 20 before entering the DI mixed bed resin that I use. When it comes out it’s 0. I get about 120g out of my DI resin before TDS starts to climb. I change it when it hit 1-1.5 TDS. Mine is only a 4 stage saving up for the BRS 6 stage.
I'll check back with you and I'll bother test coming out of the rodi. Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
K

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So coming in to the house is 238, out of the rodi is 128 and after , going to the tub is 72 tds.

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 10.0%
Back