What’s happening to this Hammer coral?

elBem80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3061.jpeg

For context the bottom 2 hammers I’ve had for 6-8 months, the green hammer and the (dying hammer?) gold hammer I’ve had for a month or 2.

In the last week or so the top (golden) hammer has started retreating for an unknown reason. Parameters seem stable (all other corals are thriving) and there’s no sign of EFW or other parasites. Any idea what it could be?

My only guess is the emerald crab is perhaps nipping it at night!? I’m really lost to what it could be.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need specifics for any help. Listing of parameters, lights and schedule, video of flow. Your rocks looks awfully clean for being as old as it seems they should be.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes hammers close up when trying to split. Mine close for a few days then pop out with another head. Also coukd be that shrimp tho. Any vermitid snails in the immediate area. They irritate them too.

OP
OP
elBem80

elBem80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need specifics for any help. Listing of parameters, lights and schedule, video of flow. Your rocks looks awfully clean for being as old as it seems they should be.
Surely if it was an imbalance of some sort they would all be suffering?

OP
OP
elBem80

elBem80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes hammers close up when trying to split. Mine close for a few days then pop out with another head. Also coukd be that shrimp tho. Any vermitid snails in the immediate area. They irritate them too.

Or maybe it's just the first to show signs due to size or preexisting issues.
I hope not!

Ph 8.2
Kh 7.3
No2 0.1
No3 1
Nh4 nil
Salinity 1.025
Ca 414
Mg 1550

what do we think?

OP
OP
elBem80

elBem80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will test tomorrow and post back. I’m running a roller mat and skimmer on a new tank (few months old) if that’s of use - I’ve read too much filtration can reduce nitrates..

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will test tomorrow and post back. I’m running a roller mat and skimmer on a new tank (few months old) if that’s of use - I’ve read too much filtration can reduce nitrates..
Newer tank and no food will both irritate coral. Try to keep nitrate to 5 at the lowest. If it hits zero you'll run the risk of dinos and have a whole new headache

OP
OP
elBem80

elBem80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newer tank and no food will both irritate coral. Try to keep nitrate to 5 at the lowest. If it hits zero you'll run the risk of dinos and have a whole new headache
OK cool I'll aim for that - thanks for the advice!

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • My coral

Votes: 40 55.6%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back