What’s the most effective bristle worm eating fish that is reef safe and won’t attack my other fish?

Koby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was cleaning my tank and I moved my favia away from my anemone and my instincts said too look under because I thought I saw something, it was what I believe too be a bristle worm. Looked about 5 inches long. Looked like a centipede. I want it out but I don’t want too mess with it nor do I want too kill. What’s the most effective fish that will do my dirty work for me but won’t hurt my coral or other fish? Thanks for the knowledge. I’ve researched and I like the flame hawkfish, but I was curious if there was any other options that way I pick the best one

OP
OP
Koby

Koby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even I'll admit bristleworms are a valuable part of the tank eco system, you'll hardly ever see them and they clean up uneaten food better than any clean up crew. Just keep the worms around.
I’m on the fence, I like my stuff too be as natural as possible but dang them things freak me out haha. God says not too fear but my instincts say too burn the thing. It’s 50/50 as long as I don’t see them I will be okay

OP
OP
Koby

Koby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on the fence, I like my stuff too be as natural as possible but dang them things freak me out haha. God says not too fear but my instincts say too burn the thing. It’s 50/50 as long as I don’t see them I will be okay
Did all this research too put things in my tank that will not hurt me and the bristle worm is like hold my beer

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I have these two just incase I see a big one
20240928_210741.jpg
20240928_210653.jpg

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the Arrow Crab is your best bet. You can find videos of them eating Bristle Worms on YouTube.

You can also use baits, but they require you to get up close with the worm when discarding. The really large ones sometimes require you to break them (the worm) apart because they get lodged in. I highly recommend you NOT to use the traps.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
5" is pretty big, bait him out at night manually remove with metal tongs, not to worry if breaks in half ,do it again the next day, but at 5" or better I would remove.

OP
OP
Koby

Koby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5" is pretty big, bait him out at night manually remove with metal tongs, not to worry if breaks in half ,do it again the next day, but at 5" or better I would remove.
I didn’t get too close, just kind of eyeballed it and put my coral down, I had gloves on but I bet he could poke right through those I set that favia down really quick, he was wrapped up in a circle so it was hard too tell, 4-5 inches is my guess

image.jpg

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on arrow crab, but just in case I keep the OL Swiss handy… I’ve caught one about 6” length in my tank
FB6B9C8B-BED8-483A-978F-A8B38F2089C1.jpeg
Do you really need the sights at that range?

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t get too close, just kind of eyeballed it and put my coral down, I had gloves on but I bet he could poke right through those I set that favia down really quick, he was wrapped up in a circle so it was hard too tell, 4-5 inches is my guess

image.jpg
You can also try piece of cocktail shrimp ties inside panty hose. Their bristles get caught in it and you just lift out the hose with tongs in the AM. Might catch a few more!

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will arrow crabs eat, invert wise. I have never been able to pin it down
They will eat bristleworms with gusto, but there are also accounts of them attacking smaller fish. No personal experience with them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg
Thats a blastomussa merletti not a favia, just letting you know! :)

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 40 24.7%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 41 25.3%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 21 13.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 9 5.6%
Back