What are your guys fav cheap or common corals?

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So usually the most beautiful corals are the expensive ones. Rare rainbow chalice, colorful acros, holy grail torch. but sometimes there are cheap common corals that are stunning. For me my fav common coral is the rasta zoa. the colors in that are STUNNING. What do you guys think is beautiful?
1728048408349.png

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re in the $5-10 range at my LFS.

I know not everyone is a fan, but I like the color and form.
i got this red grafted monti cap for $50. not sure if thats considered cheap. it was that much cause it was from top shelf aquatics. they are probably the most expensive coral seller of all. only WWC comes as close. but you could prob grab the same one from a local dealer for like $30. the color on mine is striking. you can see it in the top left.

1728051864518.png

PotatoPig

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got this red grafted monti cap for $50. not sure if thats considered cheap. it was that much cause it was from top shelf aquatics. they are probably the most expensive coral seller of all. only WWC comes as close. but you could prob grab the same one from a local dealer for like $30. the color on mine is striking. you can see it in the top left.

1728051864518.png
I can definitely see how grafted versions are a price point or two up - more work, more time, etc.

Mine’s just the plain red, growing out and plating nicely.

IMG_1925.jpeg

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can definitely see how grafted versions are a price point or two up - more work, more time, etc.

Mine’s just the plain red, growing out and plating nicely.

IMG_1925.jpeg
i see a bunch of vermetids. i got those two so annoying they are. i bought some bumble bee snails to deal with them. although i dont know if i bought enough cause i keep seeing new vermetids pop up. not sure how many bumble bees i need. (i see rasta zao and firework polyps too, i have those as well)

PotatoPig

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i see a bunch of vermetids. i got those two so annoying they are. i bought some bumble bee snails to deal with them. although i dont know if i bought enough cause i keep seeing new vermetids pop up. not sure how many bumble bees i need. (i see rasta zao and firework polyps too, i have those as well)
Yeah; I think they came in on some CUC so escaped dips.

I’m not a fan of them, but these ones don’t seem to bother the corals or other tank occupants so I’m not particularly motivated to try annihilate the population. Maybe I get some more bumblebees soon.

The Monti also doesn’t care about them - it’s grown over and entombed a few as it’s spread.

carol3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers from Raleigh!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back