What could be eating my Coris Wrasse?

The Life Aquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One time I can handle, but twice...

Story goes, about 2 months ago my Yellow Coris Wrasse went missing. I know sometimes they'll disappear for a day or two so I waited and waited and waited but 2 weeks later no sign so I went out and bought another one.

Now, the new one is gone (had for 1 month)

It's not my parameters. It (they?) didn't jump...top is fully enclosed. They did not get sucked into the overflow. No other fish are obvious candidates for eating them (all relatively small/peaceful) and I don't have anything obvious like an anemone that could have done it.

The only thing I can think of is something is getting them in their sleep. I don't think it's a mantis since 1) I've never seen one...although I do hear the occasional clicking however I think it's snails and 2) It would be eating everything, right?

Are there any other creatures that might make sense here? Any other ideas? It's crazy it's happened twice with absolutely zero issues to any other fish.

I should add I have a camera on the tank, and both times the Wrasse was totally fine the day prior...lights go out and they simply never returned.

Last edited:

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serpent starfish when they get big will eat sleeping fish if you have any, what other animals are in the tank ?

OP
OP
T

The Life Aquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serpent starfish when they get big will eat sleeping fish if you have any, what other animals are in the tank ?
No other animals (just fish) other than a few peppermint shrimp, cleaner shrimp, and quite a few hitchhikers but nothing nefarious that I've seen. I do have some brittle star hitchhikers but no large ones (that I've seen). The tank is a 180g so it's possible something is hiding but would be weird I haven't spotted it yet in the 7 months the rock has been in.

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search the tank at night you’ll be surprised what you find, could be a crab also.

OP
OP
T

The Life Aquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found a pistol shrimp! In over 6 months I've never spotted it before. But I'm hesitant to blame him...my peppermint shrimp hangs out right by the pistol's cave and if he's not bothering to pick off the peppermint I have a hard time believing it took out two wrasses.

WOULD YOU EVER CONSIDER HAVING A FOWLR TANK? WHAT WOULD BE YOUR FIRST FISH?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 38.2%
  • No...

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • I already have one!

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I did have one, but I don't anymore...

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back