What do you think about a Reefing Mentor? Could it work? Would you mentor or be mentored?

What do you think about reefing mentors as trusted advisors?

• I would be interested in being mentored.

Votes: 288 56.9%
  • I would be interested in being a mentor for others.

Votes: 142 28.1%
  • I am not sure it could or would work.

Votes: 53 10.5%
  • Other (please post in the thread)

Votes: 23 4.5%

• Total voters

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up on acros. Sponges and elegance, gorgonians , zoas are doing well for me. My sponges are huge now. Don't ask me what I'm doing right

I'd first think that the reason your sponges, elegance, gorgonians, and zoas are doing well because you have higher nutrients and most SPS don't like nutrients being too high.

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd first think that the reason your sponges, elegance, gorgonians, and zoas are doing well because you have higher nutrients and most SPS don't like nutrients being too high.
Thanks I definitely think you're right. I find it hard to lower them. Even with regular water changes. Oh well it's better I don't have them then unnecessarily kill the poor things.

Zos4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arent we all mentors in some respect. we share info back and forth and help each other. some are more experienced and share with the less but we all gain knowledge from people in this community

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would be a mentee in need of a mentor... I'm taking volunteers! :face-with-tears-of-joy:
You can go one of a couple ways - one is to pick someone here who is knowledgable - and wants to be a mentor (and do it online) - the second would be to search for someone (also knowledgeable) - in your own area - like a trusted LFS, reefer, etc. IMHO - you're still getting one opinion - i.e. I think posting questions, etc here is almost as good if not better.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would be happy to be a mentor, but - I checked other, because I'm not sure it would work. In reality - I guess I think at some point an individual learns by doing, succeeding, and failing. However, there are LOTS of expert people with a lot of experience out there that would probably be helpful

Extremeengineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my perspective is that this site is, in many ways, a collective mentoring site. There are many here who have been involved in the hobby for a great number of years, and thus have learned through their own experiences, failures, and knowledge they have gleaned from this and other community resources i.e. lfs (there are some good ones), clubs, other web sites, etc. They freely share their knowledge, and in fact I believe form a mentorship that would be difficult to equal, as one does not get the knowledge of a single mentor here, but rather a community mentorship with individual nuances coming through from many minds to collectively exceed what any one contributor could accomplish alone.

robanister

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the biggest issue is finding the right mentor for an individual. Some people may have the knowledge to mentor a wide variety of reefing styles but others may only be able to share "what works for me". It's complicated even more by how diverse systems are in both biology and equipment. Someone with black box LED's may not make a good mentor to someone with Hydra's. Someone with an algae turf scrubber may not make a good mentor for someone running a refugium. A person who keeps wrasses may not make a good mentor for someone who wants a tank full of tangs.
1574700012081.png
The mentor finds you. I have mentored both seasoned and new reefers. Teach don't preach!

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 57 25.6%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 97 43.5%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 56 25.1%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 13 5.8%
Back