What is a return pump for 120 Gallon without breaking the bank?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,jeboa/jecod ,buy two for price of "high quality" pump,and have a spare.. :)

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you require DC?

If not

Rheum 1262
Fluval sp2

If you do, check out

Hydor seltz
Jebao/jecod

Meloco14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without doubt one of these - I use Coral Box DCA4,000 for my 80 G. I run it on 65 %. These are ready for use with a 1-10 V signal from an aquarium computer

Sincerely Lasse
I second coral box. I've run mine for a year now with no issues. Got mine from reefbreeders. If there ever was any issue I know their customer service is top notch.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been running the maxspect for half a year, so far it has been awesome, moderately priced but still more than the jebao though.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing too expensive, what brand or pump would you guys suggest?
My DT has a Sicee SDC 9.0 adjustable pump on a slightly larger tank. I believe it was about $400.00.
That said... The pump on my 90 is about ten years old, runs like a mule and moves plenty of water. It was never intended for salt water tank, it is a pond pump! You can get a cheap AC pond pump from Half Off Ponds for about $100.

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, there are a few questions to be answered...
1. what type of flow do I want this tank to have?
2. will I upgrade in the future to a bigger tank?
3. what should I spend?

1. i use my returns as more powerheads for flow to cut down on having to spend more on powerheads, they are nice to direct flow and current and create turbulence in my tank with other powerheads changing on different patterns.

2. more than likely this answer is yes, even though you might think no now. Why? space for corals, space for fish, this gets used up very quickly in this hobby. it good to take this into consideration.

3. This is especially a good question.. Why? these pumps are the lifeblood of our tanks, when it goes it's almost always when you are not there. for me, it's a constant worry. this is actually where I spend the most money, without this pump being of good quality the blowback is more costly than the upfront costs to get a good one.

For my redsea i went abyzz ( this pump will last me forever and I can use it from my 115gal to a 240gal easy). I never worry about my return. there are cheaper options. but stay with a good smart pump that's controllable, DC is best low voltage in the tank, less heat, controllable can be tuned down or up ( thinking about tank upgrades again) The sicce SDCs are great, I love a company that focuses on one thing and succeeds they are apex controllable out of the box and they stand behind there products. they are on the cheaper side. The Vectras and varios are good and can run for a very long time.

That being said.. I do understand it's easy to spend someone else's money.. but my thoughts on the matter non the less.

Last edited:

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant believe more people on here don't use the platinum DC pumps there affordable DC pumps that are silent and comes with there controller which is super simple to use. Has maintainence and feed modes and tons of different setting from constant pump to more of a wave affect. I absolutely love mine

HOW ARE YOU FIGHTING NUISANCE ALGAE RIGHT NOW?

• Clean-Up Crew

Votes: 113 80.1%
  • Algae-Eating Fish

Votes: 59 41.8%
  • Light Adjustments

Votes: 23 16.3%
  • Nutrient Adjustments

Votes: 55 39.0%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 20 14.2%
Back