Seawater levels of trace elements?

Superlightman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello , question, do we have measurements of the seawater trace elements ? I want to compare them with the recommended level in the ICP. I think the recommended level in ICP are much higher than what we find in reefs?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello , question, do we have measurements of the seawater trace elements ? I want to compare them with the recommended level in the ICP. I think the recommended level in ICP are much higher than what we find in reefs?

Yes, but unlike the major ions, trace elements vary considerably by depth and location. Some are depleted in deeper water, some depleted at the surface, and some have more complex variation.

I’d also advise that icp cannot determine the chemical form of the ions, and that form can greatly impact the toxicity and bioavailability of ions. Something most of these companies don’t mention. Both the oxidation state (e.g. ferrous vs ferric iron) and the binding by organics can have a big effect.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the MBARI Periodic Table of Elements in the Ocean you find data and graphs on all elements.

Do you know how to calculate the concentration by weight as given by ICP labs from the molar concentration in the PTEO?

OP
OP
Superlightman

Superlightman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but unlike the major ions, trace elements vary considerably by depth and location. Some are depleted in deeper water, some depleted at the surface, and some have more complex variation.

I’d also advise that icp cannot determine the chemical form of the ions, and that form can greatly impact the toxicity and bioavailability of ions. Something most of these companies don’t mention. Both the oxidation state (e.g. ferrous vs ferric iron) and the binding by organics can have a big effect.
Thanks for this clarifications.On which basis they then made their trace elements recommendations in the ICPs?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this clarifications.On which basis they then made their trace elements recommendations in the ICPs?

I do not know what each company did, but I do know they do not always try to match natural levels of all elements.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, unfortunately I don't know :-(
If you click on an element in the PTEO a window like this one opens
PTEOZinc.jpg

Multiply the average (or else) concentration in ocean with atomic weight to get the concentration in g/kg: 5.4 nmol/kg x 65.39 = 353.106 ng/kg = 0.353106 µg/kg (ppb) or ca. 0.35 µg/kg (ppb).

The average concentration in the ocean by weight of Zn is 0.35 µg/kg or ppb. Now you can compare it with the ICP result and the level recommended by the lab.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair to say not all salts created equal as to trace elements therefore we might be putting more emphasis on meeting strict ICP levels vs just being the ball park?

OP
OP
Superlightman

Superlightman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you click on an element in the PTEO a window like this one opens
PTEOZinc.jpg

Multiply the average (or else) concentration in ocean with atomic weight to get the concentration in g/kg: 5.4 nmol/kg x 65.39 = 353.106 ng/kg = 0.353106 µg/kg (ppb) or ca. 0.35 µg/kg (ppb).

The average concentration in the ocean by weight of Zn is 0.35 µg/kg or ppb. Now you can compare it with the ICP result and the level recommended by the lab.
thanks that is very usefull :)
How is the concentration in your salt? do you try to match the natural levels or not?

OP
OP
Superlightman

Superlightman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know what each company did, but I do know they do not always try to match natural levels of all elements.
yes exactly because of this I ask. I believe some company may have put higher levels in their ICP recommandation than needed to increase their sales... I would know at which level coral thrive in the natural environment

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks that is very usefull :)
How is the concentration in your salt? do you try to match the natural levels or not?

Which natural levels? As I noted, and such links make clear, it varies a lot.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes exactly because of this I ask. I believe some company may have put higher levels in their ICP recommandation than needed to increase their sales... I would know at which level coral thrive in the natural environment

No. This is just not true. It entirely ignores the chemical form present which changes the availability a lot.

There just is no single perfect answer.

OP
OP
Superlightman

Superlightman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. This is just not true. It entirely ignores the chemical form present which changes the availability a lot.

There just is no single perfect answer.
Although it may vary from place to place, there should be a range of values in which each trace element is present and we should be able to take averages. What interests me is the average, it will already give an indication. For example if an element is present between 2-4 and ICP advice 8 I know that even below the ICP I am comfortable. What bothers me about the ICPs from one brand to another, the recommendations can sometimes go from single to double. How do you know who is right?And they are not able or willing to tell you why these levels are the best, you just have to believe them that is the best level.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although it may vary from place to place, there should be a range of values in which each trace element is present and we should be able to take averages. What interests me is the average, it will already give an indication. For example if an element is present between 2-4 and ICP advice 8 I know that even below the ICP I am comfortable. What bothers me about the ICPs from one brand to another, the recommendations can sometimes go from single to double. How do you know who is right?And they are not able or willing to tell you why these levels are the best, you just have to believe them that is the best level.

There’s no reason to assume natural levels are necessary or optimal. Coupled with the unknown chemical forms present, and there’s a whole lot of guessing involved that is not answered by knowing seawater values.

This may be helpful:

And

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do we know the accuracy of the ICP results? In your example, if the ICP result is 2-4, the real value could be 0 or 16.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so your saying icp are useless?
Not useless, but making the point that as we think about getting the trace element concentration right, we can't be too fussy about getting the target right because we don’t know the accuracy of the ICP measurement, and therefore, we can’t know with much confidence whether we are hitting the target.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 63 45.3%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 28 20.1%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 34 24.5%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 17 12.2%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 38 27.3%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back