Could we utilise the Redfield ratio a little better in aquaria?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
criticism is not really following along or discussing the subject.

Is a disagreement criticism? I think several here have tried to help steer the conversation to something more meaningful and move you past the redfield ratio.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
exactly this, the thread makes zero sense to me. And I wouldn't say that is a matter of me not understanding the subject...
If you know the subject, you should also know that we can identify a C limitation in reef aquaria by just knowing the Residual Nitrate and Phosphate variations. Is the above True or false?

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a disagreement criticism? I think several here have tried to help steer the conversation to something more meaningful and move you past the redfield ratio.
You can only have a disagreement if there is something to not agree on. I’ve had questions that were answered to the best of my knowledge and not corrected as they are factual. If you look back through the tread this happened many times, a question was asked I’ve answered it and they started looking for something else.
That’s called criticism imo

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you know the subject, you should also know that we can identify a C limitation in reef aquaria by just knowing the Residual Nitrate and Phosphate variations. Is the above True or false?
I do yet this has nothing to do with the Redfield ratio, as we are trying to tell you. Also I don't see the point in wanting to know this since due to the large amount of other variables you'd never be able to utilise it anyway

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do yet this has nothing to do with the Redfield ratio, as we are trying to tell you. Also I don't see the point in wanting to know this since due to the large amount of other variables you'd never be able to utilise it anyway
You can leave the Redfield ratio aside for now they overlap later.
Could you clarify how to identify if C is limited using Nitrate and phosphate?

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a reef tank? impossible
This is my argument, I believe it’s possible to have an idea if it’s limited using Nitrate and phosphate residual. Being able to evaluate if all 3 nutrients are in balance.

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my argument, I believe it’s possible to have an idea if it’s limited using Nitrate and phosphate residual. Being able to evaluate if all 3 nutrients are in balance.
seeing as there is not just one organism in a reef tank that uses N, P and C plus they're ability to take in ammonia directly before being broken down by bacteria in the rock, sand and filtermedia id say the chances of accurately predicting your DOC is slim to none. Also the 'balance' you mention is non existent since there is no effect you can observe in either N or P if you lower or raise the other unless you bottom one out entirely

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seeing as there is not just one organism in a reef tank that uses N, P and C plus they're ability to take in ammonia directly before being broken down by bacteria in the rock, sand and filtermedia id say the chances of accurately predicting your DOC is slim to none. Also the 'balance' you mention is non existent since there is no effect you can observe in either N or P if you lower or raise the other unless you bottom one out entirely
Yeas, they are called variables although I don’t believe they influence the overall determination if a nutrient is bottom out ( I prefer to say limited).
I believe if we set the variables a side for a minute and just focus on the pelagic heterotrophic bacteria and use Nitrate and Phosphate to determine if the bacteria is limited by any of the nutrients

ReneReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can only have a disagreement if there is something to not agree on. I’ve had questions that were answered to the best of my knowledge and not corrected as they are factual. If you look back through the tread this happened many times, a question was asked I’ve answered it and they started looking for something else.
That’s called criticism imo
Sorry, but me abandoning the discussion does not mean you were right and I ran out of things to “criticise” you on. I hope you’re joking. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Honestly, I just stopped because I was fed up with your style of endless vague meanderings and blaming other’s “lack of expertise” for your inability to make your point. We are now six pages in and you still haven’t been able to make clear to us what you’re on about and how its relevant to our hobby.

Me and many other have pointed out the many factual and practical holes in your theories/assertions/“facts” whatever you call it. That is part of any normal discussion, we do not criticise you we are critical about the information you present.

And yes, plenty of us are plenty knowledgeable, so saying we don’t understand you because we lack expertise is ridiculous. Also, what use is an expert such as yourself(?) that cannot explain his or her expertise to others???

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 44 36.1%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 14 11.5%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 54 44.3%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 27 22.1%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 14 11.5%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back