What is going on with my PAR?

RWReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below is a snapshot of my PAR readings. Running two XR30 G6 Pros at the following:

Point Intensity: 75%
UV: 100%
Violet: 100%
Royal Blue: 100%
Blue: 100%
Green: 24%
Red: 24%
Warm White: 35%
Cool White: 35%

PAR on the front of the tank is all over the place. Back of the tank gives me expected values at sand (100-130 and slowly getting higher as I trend up.

Could this all be from glass reflection? Windows were shaded when I took the PAR measurements so room was not lit. I'm stumped.

Tank PAR.jpg

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below is a snapshot of my PAR readings. Running two XR30 G6 Pros at the following:

PAR on the front of the tank is all over the place. Back of the tank gives me expected values at sand (100-130 and slowly getting higher as I trend up.

Could this all be from glass reflection? Windows were shaded when I took the PAR measurements so room was not lit. I'm stumped.

Tank PAR.jpg
Is the back glass painted?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, back of the tank in black. That’s what led to towards believing it had something to do with reflection.
Painting the glass dark color kills par. You lose the reflections you are getting in the front of the tank and obviously losing par.
BRS did a "study" on this.
Another before them also.
It's weird physics..

OP
OP
RWReefer

RWReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Painting the glass dark color kills par. You lose the reflections you are getting in the front of the tank and obviously losing par.
BRS did a "study" on this.
Another before them also.
It's weird physics..

Oh I’m all on board I’m with black absorbing light. The issue I am seeing is PAR values near my sand bed that are higher than the top of my aquascape. That seems off to me and sort of handcuffs my plan for a mixed reef setup.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I’m all on board I’m with black absorbing light. The issue I am seeing is PAR values near my sand bed that are higher than the top of my aquascape. That seems off to me and sort of handcuffs my plan for a mixed reef setup.
What is the width of the tank? Do you have lights spread equally across the top on standard 8 inch mounts?

I use XR15 lights on my mixed reef.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

Tank PAR.jpg
How high do you have lights above water surface?

bubbgee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the sand is reflecting the light up? Never heard of it but that's the only thing i can think of...
Otherwise, borrow someone else's par meter?

OP
OP
RWReefer

RWReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the width of the tank? Do you have lights spread equally across the top on standard 8 inch mounts?

I use XR15 lights on my mixed reef.

Tank is 47" wide. Lights are mounted width horizontal with the tank front on the standard RMS mounts, approximately 13" centered from each side.

IMG_5790.jpeg

OP
OP
RWReefer

RWReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vetted that already and determined no noticeable change with or without the shades. Also confirmed that PAR values raise or lower in unison when I increase or decrease the light intensity. I feel like this is a pretty basic setup so that’s why I am thoroughly confused lol.
Maybe those aftermarket light shades are causing different specs and par numbers?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vetted that already and determined no noticeable change with or without the shades. Also confirmed that PAR values raise or lower in unison when I increase or decrease the light intensity. I feel like this is a pretty basic setup so that’s why I am thoroughly confused lol.
Well your rockscape is similar to mine and I get varied numbers around the tank to but there is a noticeable rise from the sandbed to the top of the rocks. What par meter did you use? Was it calibrated properly?

OP
OP
RWReefer

RWReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well your rockscape is similar to mine and I get varied numbers around the tank to but there is a noticeable rise from the sandbed to the top of the rocks. What par meter did you use? Was it calibrated properly?
It is being borrowed from a generous reefer here on the forum (@14 foot reef).

Not sure date of last calibration, but what seems amiss is that I see the expected PAR reduction on the backside of the rock work. Lights are centered directly above the scape, so they only thing that makes any logical sense to me would be reflection causing the spike in PAR at the bottom, but I don’t know enough about aquariums to have confidence in that assessment.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is being borrowed from a generous reefer here on the forum (@14 foot reef).

Not sure date of last calibration, but what seems amiss is that I see the expected PAR reduction on the backside of the rock work. Lights are centered directly above the scape, so they only thing that makes any logical sense to me would be reflection causing the spike in PAR at the bottom, but I don’t know enough about aquariums to have confidence in that assessment.
Then why wouldn't I get the same reflection in a similar tank and scape?

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 48 57.1%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back