What is the appendage on my hammer?

Jakejtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammer seems to be doing okay and extending but I am seeing two things I am not sure what it is. Been reading up on on pests etc so of course now I think I have Spoinid worm Lol. I have another very small head growing near the base and it looks different than the two appendages? Help please!
Also is it okay for the hammer to have the green mold on it?
One other think of note... I amseeing what apprears to be sand grains, you can see it in the photo. It is in lots of places and did think much of it becuase of my wrasse slings sand everywhere but the Particles do not shake off? TIA.

IMG_0220.jpeg IMG_0219.jpeg

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one coming from within the flesh band is a new head growing! The dark one is a vermetid. The snail's shell is on the surface of the coral's skeleton. You can smash it with pliers or cover it with glue.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do smash it with pliers make sure you kill the snail in the process too. I mean really smash it into oblivion. If you don't the snail will just build a new shell and come back. By sealing it shut the snail will eventually die due to starvation. It won't be able to cast out that slimy web that causes all the problems. GL.

Check this out.

Last edited:

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a tough spot to smash into oblivion without possibly breaking the coral skeleton.

Tbh, I wouldn't do anything. The one that's under the flesh band is obviously dead and gone, and the other one you point out looks gone as well. I would only do something if I saw it casting it's net from that tube and bothering the hammer.

OP
OP
Jakejtown

Jakejtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a tough spot to smash into oblivion without possibly breaking the coral skeleton.

Tbh, I wouldn't do anything. The one that's under the flesh band is obviously dead and gone, and the other one you point out looks gone as well. I would only do something if I saw it casting its net from that tube and bothering the hammer.
Oh yeah, we saw the net this evening. Cut off the tube and glued it. Worried about how many more are in the tank and what kind of battle we are in for.

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 57 25.6%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 97 43.5%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 56 25.1%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 13 5.8%
Back