What is this growing on the frag plug?

Huntersreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This odd white growth coming from the frag plug. Was not there last week. Does not appear to be aiptasia and more of a tube with nothing coming out of it. Any ideas?

IMG_7166.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you could get a closer pic of it?

Going from the description, my first thought would be a sponge, but I can't tell for sure.

OP
OP
Huntersreef

Huntersreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you could get a closer pic of it?

Going from the description, my first thought would be a sponge, but I can't tell for sure.
The camera on my phone not helping. Any closer and just too blurry. I do see now something small coming out of the top.

Attachments

• IMG_7167.jpeg
    IMG_7167.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7170.jpeg
    IMG_7170.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 37

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The camera on my phone not helping. Any closer and just too blurry. I do see now something small coming out of the top.
It’s tough to see but I’m guessing vermatid snail. If the tube is hard, I’d assume that and crush the whole thing.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a vermatid, it’s important to crush it all the way back to where it curls up on it’s attached surface. Otherwise, it will retract when bothered then make another shell. Then multiply. I use needle nose pliers and say lots of cuss words when I do it.

OP
OP
Huntersreef

Huntersreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a vermatid, it’s important to crush it all the way back to where it curls up on its attached surface. Otherwise, it will retract when bothered then make another shell. Then multiply. I use needle nose pliers and say lots of cuss words when I do it.
I’m new at reef keeping so having to google Vermatid Snail. . Needle nose pliers to the rescue.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new at reef keeping so having to google Vermatid Snail. . Needle nose pliers to the rescue.
Good luck. If you reef long enough you’ll get them. But the longer you keep them out, the better.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard. White part is not flexible at all.
Not an aiptasia then. Personally I'd rather have them than vermatids. I have natural predators to control the aiptasia not the vermatids. I had to pull a some frags yesterday to scrape some off. They're equal opportunity annoyers and populate in all of my tanks

OP
OP
Huntersreef

Huntersreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an aiptasia then. Personally I'd rather have them than vermatids. I have natural predators to control the aiptasia not the vermatids. I had to pull a some frags yesterday to scrape some off. They're equal opportunity annoyers and populate in all of my tanks
Thanks for the insight. I’ll get it removed.

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it is a vermatid, it’s important to crush it all the way back to where it curls up on it’s attached surface. Otherwise, it will retract when bothered then make another shell. Then multiply. I use needle nose pliers and say lots of cuss words when I do it.
lol

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, if it's hard, then chances are high it's either a Vermetid Snail or a Serpulid feather duster worm.

The snail would send out mucus strings to catch food while the worm would have a little feather crown; the inside of the snail's tube would be shiny while the worm's tube interior would be matte.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back