What Is This Parasite!!

SimonDM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone. Im having a break out of something! Ive lost two fish already. My emperor which was just going through its colour change. And my butterfly!

I have a gem thang that’s also looking rather sick now. He’s just at the bottom trying to stay up right. I’ve just FW dipped him for around 10 minutes thinking it must be flukes as I can’t see any salt like dusting. So I’ve ruled out ich and velvet for now.

The strange thing is! I have experienced flukes before and seen them when they fall off. But this looks different. After the FW dip it’s like he’s shedding and there’s these what look like parasites at the bottom of the bowl but it’s nothing like I’ve ever seen before? Any ideas anyone as I’m trying to figure out what treatment to give!

Huge thanks in advance.

IMG_5470.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone. Im having a break out of something! Ive lost two fish already. My emperor which was just going through its colour change. And my butterfly!

I have a gem thang that’s also looking rather sick now. He’s just at the bottom trying to stay up right. I’ve just FW dipped him for around 10 minutes thinking it must be flukes as I can’t see any salt like dusting. So I’ve ruled out ich and velvet for now.

The strange thing is! I have experienced flukes before and seen them when they fall off. But this looks different. After the FW dip it’s like he’s shedding and there’s these what look like parasites at the bottom of the bowl but it’s nothing like I’ve ever seen before? Any ideas anyone as I’m trying to figure out what treatment to give!

Huge thanks in advance.

IMG_5470.jpeg

Sorry - I can't see anything definitive in the photo. For freshwater dips, only one fluke is easily seen afterwards with the naked eye (Neobenedenia). The rest are all small and really need a microscope or at least a hand lens to see. Protozoans are even smaller.

This could be mucus from the fish's skin, or it could even be feces.

However, having already lost some fish, you'll need to move quickly to try and avoid losing more. Can you post a clear video of the remaining fish, as well as more information about your tank? This post explains all that:

Jay

OP
OP
S

SimonDM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I can't see anything definitive in the photo. For freshwater dips, only one fluke is easily seen afterwards with the naked eye (Neobenedenia). The rest are all small and really need a microscope or at least a hand lens to see. Protozoans are even smaller.

However, having already lost some fish, you'll need to move quickly to try and avoid losing more. Can you post a clear video of the remaining fish, as well as more information about your tank? This post explains all that:

Jay

Jay
Hi Jay!

Thanks for the response. It is very strange. I’m quite the veteran Reefer and I’ve dealt with most things through the years but this one has me baffled!

The tank is a Redsea Reefer 350 G2+ I had the unfortunate case of coming home to find my tank front pane seal had split! So had a full rescue job on my hands. That was over a few months ago now though and since had this tank cycled. The fish have been absolutely fine had them well over a year now and have had no issues with ich or anything. I’ve added nothing new to the tank other than new sand for the bed when I had to replace it which has been cycled etc with no fish in.

Water parameters are bang on. Slightly high phosphate which coming down again after my water change earlier.

What ever it is doesn’t seem to be effecting my clowns or file fish. And the Gem tang seems to be happier after the FW dip. So I’m thinking of running some Fluke Solve to see if that works?

OP
OP
S

SimonDM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay!

Thanks for the response. It is very strange. I’m quite the veteran Reefer and I’ve dealt with most things through the years but this one has me baffled!

The tank is a Redsea Reefer 350 G2+ I had the unfortunate case of coming home to find my tank front pane seal had split! So had a full rescue job on my hands. That was over a few months ago now though and since had this tank cycled. The fish have been absolutely fine had them well over a year now and have had no issues with ich or anything. I’ve added nothing new to the tank other than new sand for the bed when I had to replace it which has been cycled etc with no fish in.

Water parameters are bang on. Slightly high phosphate which coming down again after my water change earlier.

What ever it is doesn’t seem to be effecting my clowns or file fish. And the Gem tang seems to be happier after the FW dip. So I’m thinking of running some Fluke Solve to see if that works?
Here is a video of the Clown I will try and get more but they are all currently hiding from the water change.

Attachments

• IMG_5471.mov
    13.2 MB
OP
OP
S

SimonDM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video of the Clown I will try and get more but they are all currently hiding from the water change.

Jay
Hi again Jay,

I’ve just studied my clown a bit more under a different light spectrum and I think it’s velvet. It’s very fine but I think I’m going to have to get them all out in QT!

Attachments

• IMG_5480.jpeg
    IMG_5480.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5478.jpeg
    IMG_5478.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5479.jpeg
    IMG_5479.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5477.jpeg
    IMG_5477.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 21

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi again Jay,

I’ve just studied my clown a bit more under a different light spectrum and I think it’s velvet. It’s very fine but I think I’m going to have to get them all out in QT!
Clowns appear to have secondary bacteria but the appearance is ich bit not large enough to be ich and need clearer pics to confirm

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again Jay,

That's unlikely to be velvet - the first symptoms of velvet are rapid breathing, not eating and hanging in water currents. If you see any marks on the fish at all, it will be at the very end of the infection. What happens is across the Internet, people have confused freshwater and marine velvet - the former is what produces a fine dust on the fish. There were a lot of photos here that purported to show "velvet" but were actually late stage ich.

If the clown is not showing any other symptoms and since the tang seemed improved after the FW dip, this could all be related to flukes. Fluke Solve will work for that, dosed twice, 8 days apart with good aeration. Many people do a 25% water change prior to the second treatment. I do NOT know if Fluke Solve + is reef safe. It has two other ingredients that I have not used in aquariums before.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back