What is this worm thing? Is it bad?

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I came home and my expensive as all hell banana torch coral was looking bad. It was missing flesh on right side and recessed. In the past I got hit with a bad euphyllia bacteria outbreak. So I figured that be the cause. I made 2 dips. A anti bacteria dip. And just to be safe a pest dip. Never had pests. It once I put it in the pest dip all these worms came out. It was like 7 of them buried in my coral. What are they and could that be what’s hurting my coral?

IMG_0026.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics pretty blurry, but first glance I'm thinking bristleworm

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm blanking on the name but it looks almost exactly like a bristleworm and they eat clams (and maybe lps too?) It's like opniod or opnid worm something like that.
@ISpeakForTheSeas hopefully knows what I'm talking about otherwise I may have just gone off the rails.
I'm mainly looking at the color and size any chance you could get a better Pic? It's yellow and black, right? It seems pretty small which I why I thought of that other worm.

tinyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O
I'm blanking on the name but it looks almost exactly like a bristleworm and they eat clams (and maybe lps too?) It's like opniod or opnid worm something like that.
@ISpeakForTheSeas hopefully knows what I'm talking about otherwise I may have just gone off the rails.
I'm mainly looking at the color and size any chance you could get a better Pic? It's yellow and black, right? It seems pretty small which I why I thought of that other worm.
Oenene fulgida is what you are thinking off. I'm currently dealing with them and this looks like a common bristle worm to me. Definitely not oenene, as they will be solid yellow or orange and much thinner.

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O

Oenene fulgida is what you are thinking off. I'm currently dealing with them and this looks like a common bristle worm to me. Definitely not oenene, as they will be solid yellow or orange and much thinner.
There we go, thanks!
Yeah on second that, doesn't look like a oenone, just could look at pics of oenone worms cause I forgot the name.
I'll second normal bristleworm, likely another issue, upsetting the torch, maybe causing dying flesh, which then attracts the bristleworms.

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worm in this pic is definitely a polychaete (a bristleworm, though that term covers a ton of different worms, including some harmful ones) of some variety, but it's impossible to say what kind for sure from the pic.

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately i dont have a better pic. and i flushed them all down toilet. they were very small. like 1/4" long.

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s yellow and black? Looks red from picks then it’s definitely not a fireworm probably just a bristle worm and their fine, no worrys
but something was killing my banana torch. and when i went to dip like 6 of these guys were inside the torch. are you sure they cant hurt a coral?

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back