OP
OP
M

Milen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news worm. Hidden jaws. I got one in a recent shipment of macroalgae. It didn't even get as far as my QT. Easier to catch than from rock, but still a very fast, writhing, viscous creature. I can't imagine trying to get one out of rock. Of course you could just wait until it's eaten all your fish and maxed out at several feet. It might be easier to grab then, though it might grab you instead.
I'll get him soon!

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of the one i pulled out of my old tank - it broke in half when getting it out of the rock (even after smashing the rock apart)
2023-11-30 17.13.21.jpg

OP
OP
M

Milen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the update from the extraction mission!
I've managed to locate that the worm is hiding only in a frag of zoanthis and not in the bigger rock structure beneath. So I removed the zoa frag and moved it to a container. I've used nail pliers and cracked the ceramic plug. The zoa did not get damage. I've tried to pull one worm and it was not the bobbit. Shortly noticed the beast and gently pulled it out. I've made a jodine dip to clean if something else was hiding, bit that was all. Here is the video.

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are over 100 species of the Bobbit Worm "Actually called Eunice worms and only 1 worms is called Bobbit worm.) and its almost impossible to actually know if its going to be predatory, opportunistic or harmless algae eater. i have one in 1 of my 3 rocks and it hasnt done anything harmful yet, and theres also a smaller one that lives more in the sand. if you are afraid it will start harming your tank creatures, take out that frag or whatever zoa piece its living in and try to get it out.

edit just realised you already got it out, it looks very tiny and almost harmless just slithering about, i feel bad for the ones ive killed but i didnt want to risk them possibly being a big species.

OP
OP
M

Milen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are over 100 species of the Bobbit Worm "Actually called Eunice worms and only 1 worms is called Bobbit worm.) and its almost impossible to actually know if its going to be predatory, opportunistic or harmless algae eater. i have one in 1 of my 3 rocks and it hasnt done anything harmful yet, and theres also a smaller one that lives more in the sand. if you are afraid it will start harming your tank creatures, take out that frag or whatever zoa piece its living in and try to get it out.

edit just realised you already got it out, it looks very tiny and almost harmless just slithering about, i feel bad for the ones ive killed but i didnt want to risk them possibly being a big species.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience. I was in the same situation, monitoring the worm and wondering if it will do any harm. I've noticed once that it went for a tiny piece of frozen food leftover on the zoa, and imagined how it will try to bite a fish at s9me point. So it's out now!

Cheers

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 102 28.9%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 148 41.9%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 87 24.6%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 16 4.5%
Back