What you use for GAC? And why?

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been using marineland GAC in a reactor for quite some time. I have a second reactor plumbed right into the one I use for GFO so it goes out one and right into the other before back to the sump. It works ok, I don't use a ton of GAC but I like to use a little as it does do great at clearing the water.

But anyway I'm looking to change what I use. I find marineland GAC to be annoying as about half of it floats rather than sinking, so I usually dump whatever floats while I'm rinsing it. I feel like its such a waste but it clogs the reactor screen if I don't dump it.

mylifeismyown66

FUPA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I use carbon I like seachem matrix because of its spherical shape. This shape gives it a lot of surface area, and it doesn't clog up in the BRS pads in their reactors. The rox carbon is good too, but is a bit tougher to clean out of those pads. I have also read a study where they found fish kept in identical systems with exception to the quality of carbon angels and tangs exhibited lateral line erosion in only the tank with a low grade carbon.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting I never had trouble with lateral line disease. I had my yellow tang get fin rot really bad and head and lateral line deterioration in quarantine, and he healed up so well after getting into my reef tank, you would never know anything was ever wrong with him. He had almost nothing left for fins and tail, it all grew back. Some people that saw him previous still can't believe its the same fish. lol

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use the Seachem Matrix
It has a nice consistent sized spherical shape that doesn't clog up. I have run it both passively and in a reactor without issues

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GAC is granulated activated carbon. I use BRS Premium ROX 0.8 carbon in a single reactor. I use it once a month for 2 weeks(if I remember!)just to polish the water. Or if I have to use chemi-clean. It's quality stuff and does a great job.

Last edited:
Back