What's the best Magnesium Tester out there?

Tony Roberts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hanna alk test is useless. As soon as the reagent bottle is opened the test will start become inacurate. After spending so much money on the alk and calcium tester from hanna i will not be buying any of their other products. I don't have anything to say about their magnesium checker if its accurate or not but the failed launch doesn't give me any good feelings about it. I like aquaforest for mag but many others will be just as good.
Like you, I won't be buying anymore from them. I have the mag tester, but new reagent that originally had a packet of power that was replaced with a liquid and new testing instructions that require two more reagents. Bait and switched.

MattPLaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Hanna for everything but Ca and Mg, which I love the salifert tests for, personally. In my experience, Hanna has been great for Alk and HR Nitrate, in response to others in the thread. Each reefer's experience may vary, though!
I completely agree with this. My Hanna checkers for pH, nitrate, phosphate, and alk work perfectly, and are easy to use and accurate. I have tested all of them against themselves by running 3 consecutive tests and comparing the results. All the above-mentioned checkers were dead consistent.

When I did the same for magnesium and calcium I got numbers all over the place. Both have brand-new reagents.

Now I use the Redsea titration tests for both Mag and Cal and I get much more consistent results. I believe titration is the way to go for these two elements. Which is the best titration test? I think that depends on who you ask.

Back