Where do I go from here? Adding Corals, inverts, macro algea, turning on lights, etc.

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I just started my saltwater journey and finally got some black ice clowns (Olly and Molly) for my 13.5 fluval and they are doing very well. I would truly like to get some softies (I want a very easy maintence tank concerning corals), get some of the following inverts ( reef grazing hermit crabs, nusarias snails, pistol shrimp, maybe 1 gobi, and perhaps a blue tuxedo urchin), macro algea but how long do I wait?

Do I turn on my lights now or do I wait till corals? Do I need to wait 3-6 months for tank to continue to mature? I do realize I need to get a calcium and alkalinity test so I will be doing that in the next few weeks. I am just a little stumped from here. I have little to no diatoms as of now. My tank has cycled and is reading 0 for ammonia and nitrite and 10ppm for nitrates. Salinity is at 1.025 and is prebought from local LFS. I feel like I am ready but I don't want to set up future coral and invert for failure. Was also told my tank will be sucked dry by macroalgea so need advice.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to turn your lights on. The sooner you do that the sooner your ugly phase will be over. You also will want to add a few inverts at the same time.
After lights kn and inverts wait 2-4 weeks. You can add a coral or 2.

No experience with maco(yet) although I'm getting some today.
But maco will suck nitrate and phosphate like crazy. You will want to wait a while before trying that.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn on the lights and start growing some algae for your future inverts. Wait until you have a food source to put the inverts in, you don’t want them to starve.

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to turn your lights on. The sooner you do that the sooner your ugly phase will be over. You also will want to add a few inverts at the same time.
After lights kn and inverts wait 2-4 weeks. You can add a coral or 2.

No experience with maco(yet) although I'm getting some today.
But maco will suck nitrate and phosphate like crazy. You will want to wait a while before trying that.
Ill get some inverts this weekend then. Turning lights on with pre-made schedule. Are the inverts I listed acceptable? It was recommended via numerous saltwater hobbiest

Reef grazing hermit crabs, nusarias snails pistol shrimp, and blue tuxedo urchin

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn on the lights and start growing some algae for your future inverts. Wait until you have a food source to put the inverts in, you don’t want them to starve.
Gotcha lights have been turned on. I just wasnt sure since so many wants to skip the ugly stage and leave the lights off. Thanks!

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill get some inverts this weekend then. Turning lights on with pre-made schedule. Are the inverts I listed acceptable? It was recommended via numerous saltwater hobbiest

Reef grazing hermit crabs, nusarias snails pistol shrimp, and blue tuxedo urchin
Yes. I'd start out with 2 or 3 hermits and 3 nassarius.

Although not shure about the urchin. Might be a bit small of a tank.
Mine has decimated the algae population in my very high nutrient 90 gal.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will go through an ugly stage, may as well get it out of the way. I would wait a little bit longer to get inverts, unless you have some algae growing.

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I'd start out with 2 or 3 hermits and 3 nassarius.

Although not shure about the urchin. Might be a bit small of a tank.
Mine has decimated the algae population in my very high nutrient 90 gal.
Noted and noted! I do not want to overstock this tank so I wont get an urchin, especially due to size of tank. Already pushing it with my clowns.

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will go through an ugly stage, may as well get it out of the way. I would wait a little bit longer to get inverts, unless you have some algae growing.
I know ;) I am super new to saltwater so It's a little different. I don't mind the uglies. And no algea growth besides little brown spots here and there.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back