Where to get beautiful live rock (harvested not dry)

OceanJack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that the options of Fiji and Pukani actual live rock has been a extinct idea for the last 8-10 years.
Starting up a new tank and was going to buy live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater, but it looks like they just have large bulky looking rock.

Are there any live rock options where it's harvested from the ocean any longer?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that the options of Fiji and Pukani actual live rock has been a extinct idea for the last 8-10 years.
Starting up a new tank and was going to buy live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater, but it looks like they just have large bulky looking rock.

Are there any live rock options where it's harvested from the ocean any longer?
Look for Jakarta live rock. That is what I got and it was full of life. Some life that can not be bought like stomatella snails and elephant slugs.

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get dry rock but also added TBS Live rock to seed it. You can, if you are luckily, get nice dried out LR from before.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get dry rock but also added TBS Live rock to seed it. You can, if you are luckily, get nice dried out LR from before.
I don't like mixing them. This typically leads to dry rock algae islands and really nice live rock...

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like mixing them. This typically leads to dry rock algae islands and really nice live rock...
Then I guess you are out of luck unless you live near the sea and seed the rock yourself. That was what I did and I got a wonderful diverse fauna and flora.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I guess you are out of luck unless you live near the sea and seed the rock yourself. That was what I did and I got a wonderful diverse fauna and flora.
Well, I am not out of luck...

I drove to Tampa and did local pick up with TBS.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I am not out of luck...

I drove to Tampa and did local pick up with TBS.
I got @jabberwock mixed up with OP. @OceanJack did nto like the look of TBS rock so I suggest that he use nice looking dry rock and seeded it with TBS. @jabberwock answer that he does not like to mix rocks. Thinking it this is the OP answer, if he is dead set of natural LR rather than farmed LR, then he is out of luck.

I too love TBS live rock. They are really full of life.

OP
OP
O

OceanJack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, all!

I decided to go with a mix of Australian Live Rock and some Gulf LR. You all weren't wrong, Aussie rock is crazy expensive ($25 lb).

So I plan on doing 15lbs of that and supplementing the remaining with rock from TBS or KP aquatic.

Anyone use the base or premium rock from TBS or KP?

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, all!

I decided to go with a mix of Australian Live Rock and some Gulf LR. You all weren't wrong, Aussie rock is crazy expensive ($25 lb).

So I plan on doing 15lbs of that and supplementing the remaining with rock from TBS or KP aquatic.

Anyone use the base or premium rock from TBS or KP?
This was my order from KP last year..

IMG_20240417_180812.jpg

I think it speaks for itself.
I did order a couple small boxes for a project from TBS and while customer service was excellent premium rock is not suppose to sit around in Jacksonville for an extra day. By the time I stopped the die off it just rendered mediocre base rock.

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tankstop has aussie live rock regular and premium and really nice pieces
never again will i start a tank off just dry rock again, so much easier going with real live rock

OP
OP
O

OceanJack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my order from KP last year..

IMG_20240417_180812.jpg

I think it speaks for itself.
I did order a couple small boxes for a project from TBS and while customer service was excellent premium rock is not suppose to sit around in Jacksonville for an extra day. By the time I stopped the die off it just rendered mediocre base rock.
That premium or base rock? Looks solid, is it very dense or pretty lightweight rock?

OP
OP
O

OceanJack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tankstop has aussie live rock regular and premium and really nice pieces
never again will i start a tank off just dry rock again, so much easier going with real live rock
That's who I am planning on ordering from, I only need 20lbs. Deciding if I should split it as it's 25 bucks a pound.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS IT POSSIBLE TO "MASTER" REEFING? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • No.

Votes: 99 56.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 11 6.3%
Back