Which Recommendations Do You Listen To?

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, if someone is telling you: "do this' or "buy that" because it's what they did or what they bought, then you need to be a little skeptical because it is human nature to seek validation for choices we have made. Whereas if someone gives you multiple ideas or product options and asks to to do some research on your own or asks you for more information, then, to me, they are looking at it from your perspective versus their own.
If there is actual data included then that certainly helps validate their opinions. Also, just by reading forum articles and posts you will learn who the most respected members are. Lastly, there are several informative You Tube presenters who have weekly guests that will actually show you what they are doing and what the results are.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a question whose answer is important for all aspects of life, and it is made much more so in current times where nearly anyone can say nearly anything on the internet and some people will agree.

Sadly, there is no easy way to avoid every pitfall.

In reefing, this is my advice:

1. Does the advice make sense? If it does not, that may be Ok since none of us are in a position to decide if every statement is sensible. But if it doesn't seem intuitively correct (say, my current recommendation for some folks to dose ammonia lol ), then be sure to follow up by asking questions, preferably from people who you already know to trust.

2. Do you actually know anyone who is already following this advice and is your situation sufficiently similar to theirs to draw a conclusion? unfortunately, this is not foolproof because the tank you know of may thrive in spite of a detrimental practice, not because of it. But it is at least something to check.

3. If you know of someone who seems especially knowledgeable in the area the advice is give, run it by them. Maybe more than one person for complex things.

4. Don't just accept the advice manufacturers, resellers, or service companies. Treat it the same as other unvalidated advice until it gets verified somehow. Remember they may have a clear conflict of interest in getting you to buy a good or service. A nonreef example: a trail camera I just bought said to always use a certain brand of normal AA alkaline batteries. Seriously? That doesn't remotely pass test#1 above.

5. Look to the great tanks of Reef2Reef. Those that make tanks of the month, those that have been around for a long time, etc. What do they do? Beware of tanks that get set up just for photos.
Randy, I feel like you summed up the answer to the question perfectly!

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% even the ones with a 100 badges.
This hobby /message board is NOT a popularity contest.
We come here learn/share.
To me badges are like jewelry...
Some got the real deal while others turn green when tested.

Doofy.png

I'm fine not wearing any at all.

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can’t even count the amount of times I have taken your advice
Thanks man. I never speak to something that I don't know about. What is frustrating to me is that I can't yet respond to more queries. Especially (most) diseases, (most) lighting and almost all coral questions. But at least it gives me a goal to meet a standard I set for myself.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As one who doesn't have a build, I take offense to that being a qualifier :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

This guy be lost in space if he only listened to those with pics of prior landings :cool:

MAN ON THE MOON.jpg

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 71 27.0%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 114 43.3%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 64 24.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 14 5.3%
Back