White stuff on coral

timmyrules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I got some new coral about a week ago. One birds nest, and one other coral, but I have no idea what it is. they were completely healthy up until yesterday. The bird nest turned white, and my lps corals have white lumps all over them. Does anyone know what the white spots are?

IMG_7009.jpeg IMG_7008.jpeg IMG_7010.jpeg

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The birds nest appears to have bleached.

On the second picture I am seeing skeleton showing so it looks like something is definitely harming your coral.

Can you please list your water parameters, tank age, inhabitants, lighting, flow, age of tank and any other information that might help us understand the situation better?

OP
OP
T

timmyrules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The birds nest appears to have bleached.

On the second picture I am seeing skeleton showing so it looks like something is definitely harming your coral.

Can you please list your water parameters, tank age, inhabitants, lighting, flow, age of tank and any other information that might help us understand the situation better?

The tank is about 5ish months old, there is one yellow tail damsel, three clownfish, one watchman goby, and one mandarin dragonet. The light lets off about 300 par I believe. And to be completely honest I don’t know what the parameters are. I don’t actually have tests at the moment.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a Fox coral in the first picture. If you're referring to those white spots appearing in the center of the coral, those are mesenterial filaments. Basically the corals guts. Something might be bothering the coral if it's expelling those. Then again it could be nothing at all. You'll just have to keep an eye on the coral for the next week or so and see what happens.
Not really sure what I'm looking at in the second picture, but if you're seeing these same white spots appear then it's probably the filaments again. Something might be bothering this coral as well. GL.

OP
OP
T

timmyrules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, Will the corals be ok?
That looks like a Fox coral in the first picture. If you're referring to those white spots appearing in the center of the coral, those are mesenterial filaments. Basically the corals guts. Something might be bothering the coral if it's expelling those. Then again it could be nothing at all. You'll just have to keep an eye on the coral for the next week or so and see what happens.
Not really sure what I'm looking at in the second picture, but if you're seeing these same white spots appear then it's probably the filaments again. Something might be bothering this coral as well. GL.

DO YOU PRIORITIZE YOUR TANK AFTER A LONG DAY?

• Yes, my tank helps me with day-to-day stress relief.

Votes: 35 41.2%
  • Yes, even if I don't feel like it.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • It depends on the day.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • No, I'll try to save my "tank work" for a different day.

Votes: 10 11.8%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back