Why is my tang going crazy at the glass?

SweaterVest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic -- I really don't know if this qualifies as the proper place for this question, as I do not see physical signs of disease (spots, patches etc). It's more of a behavioral question, however after a couple of experiences with parasites I am prone to alarm when I notice unusual behavior. My lavender tang is acting strangely last few days, he twitches against the glass, and is more "twitchy" in general. Although I've only had him for a few weeks, he was a pretty "settled" but active fish before this new behavior. Anything I should worry about?

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ain't a fish medic but I can postulate two possibilities. 1.) It's eating some of the algae film on the glass or 2.) If it's dark on the outside of the tank and light on the inside, it may be catching its own reflection. They react to reflection as a possible negative encounter

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
#fishmedic -- I really don't know if this qualifies as the proper place for this question, as I do not see physical signs of disease (spots, patches etc). It's more of a behavioral question, however after a couple of experiences with parasites I am prone to alarm when I notice unusual behavior. My lavender tang is acting strangely last few days, he twitches against the glass, and is more "twitchy" in general. Although I've only had him for a few weeks, he was a pretty "settled" but active fish before this new behavior. Anything I should worry about?

Its called glass surfing and often triggered by chasing their own reflection from the glass. Just assure it does not result in injury similar to " rug burn".

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, it could be feeding on a light growth of algae, or it could be "glass surfing" due to seeing its reflection, or from stress. One thing you want to look out for is if sometimes, this behavior is focused on rocks - that is called flashing/scratching, and can be a sign of flukes.

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 62 54.4%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 44 38.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back