Will nitrate at 0 cause birdsnest to die?

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on how you interpret the outcome. The corals in nutrient deplete studies don't seem to RTN/STN like the birdsnest in this thread. Also, I could search up many other threads that have reported similar birdsnest coral problems that have >10ppm nitrate.
While I'll stay away from the ideal nutrient level discussion, there certainly seems a difference in the way corals decline in scientific studies vs hobby, in regards to nutrient limitation.
I agree with that. I actually suspect there is a flow issue in this case. This inside-out die off is common of dense branching corals like birdsnest and anacropora. High flow is necessary to penetrate into the dense interior or it will STN from inside-out like that.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you keep the refuge?

I am trying to switch things up. I have always kept a refuge on all my tanks in the past. Three weeks ago I threw away all the cheato and removed the container from the sump that held it. No change yet, still zero no3.
I still have the refugium - but try and keep the chaeto to about softball size vs letting it get bigger than a basketball like the past. i dosed neonitrate until levels became more stable - now don't dose any longer as long as nitrate tests show some trace amount (usually 5 - 10 )

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I see your refugium? I added some chaeto too, they grown very fast that quickly depletes the KH in my tank. I'd like to know what a reasonable range for maintaining it is.
light is off now but as far as size - i like to keep my chaeto around the size of a softball vs a basketball or bigger when it get's out of control. Usually harvest 1x a week

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some nice acros
Clarification

Those are not mine. They are nice, not my glass of ice tea

I did an image search

I like what Zeovit does to bring down nutrients, I am not one who likes the Easter Egg look. I like the no algae look though

All my acros, are
1000004337.jpg
little nubbins still stuck on frag plugs
1000004336.jpg

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU HAVE ZOANTHIDS IN YOUR AQUARIUM? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, I love Zoas!

Votes: 41 65.1%
  • I like them, but I don't have them in my aquarium.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • No, they're overrated.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 6.3%
Back