jarred1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this be a problem?

i was double checking my order from Rapidled and one of the royal blue
lenses was just lying in the baggie will the light that it puts
out still be blue? should i get a new light?

Last edited:
OP
OP
jarred1

jarred1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this lens

Click me!
LED.jpg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be fine if you just put a small dab of superglue on it and put
It back in place... It's more for protection than anything... The light emitting diode "led" is the white diode below it...

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait,isnt if you put superglue on them,the fumes can damage the LED?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard of that....:( I glue, silicone, smash, test, water damage LEDs on a regular basis lol... Not crees but all different kinds we use in signs... They need to pass all kinds of weather tests before we put them in signs.... The actual diode is potted so I don't see it being a issue.

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO NOT USE SUPERGLUE. The fumes will frost the lens.

Cops use these fumes for finger prints.

These bump off really easy I would not blame Rapid if they shipped it well.

I have a strip that has had two lenses knocked off during shipping from the manufacturer. The strip works well with out the lens but this has given me and idea. I'll post if it works. I cannot sell this strip but need a demo for frag swaps and trade shows.

Elmers White Glue is non toxic (no fumes to frost the lens) and we all used it way back to put macaroni on something and called it art in school. It drys clear.

I plan on gently placing the lens back and dabbing a little Elmers around the edge of the optic with a tooth pick. I'm confident that this is a good fix.

If you try this first please post the results.

Bill

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting.... I know the frost you are talking about but didn't think it would do it to that... Hmmmm Weldon 3or 4 would work then... Never played with the stars yet.. Are they sealed air tight after the dome is applied??

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
troylee

I never considered Weldon as the Lens and its base are not acrylic. Do you think it would still adhere? I've only used Weldon on an acrylic reactor.

As far as the stars being air tight I don't know but did an interesting experiment for the MidWest Frag Swap.

We coated a LED on a star with the LED Seal and it lasted 25 hours in salt water...OK the stuff does not waterproof the LEDs only makes them resistant.

What was interesting was for the whole day the LED got hot enough to boil the water. This was noticed by micro bubbles at the base. Also the heat it generated caused the calcium to precipitate. Much like on a heater but was dust on the bottom. Apparently LEDs get really hot in a very small area which is why we recommend a quality heatsink to keep them cool.

This was a single XR-E LED driven at 1000mA with a buck puck in a beer glass of salt water.

Bill

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should work... Weldon works on a ton of plastics not just acrylic... It's good for lexan, ppe,PVC, etc... It works pretty much on everything but nylon lol... Nothing sticks to nylon...:(

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should work... Weldon works on a ton of plastics not just acrylic... It's good for lexan, ppe,PVC, etc... It works pretty much on everything but nylon lol... Nothing sticks to nylon...:(

Groovy will try it

Bill

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
troylee

We coated a LED on a star with the LED Seal and it lasted 25 hours in salt water...OK the stuff does not waterproof the LEDs only makes them resistant.

What was interesting was for the whole day the LED got hot enough to boil the water. This was noticed by micro bubbles at the base. Also the heat it generated caused the calcium to precipitate. Much like on a heater but was dust on the bottom. Apparently LEDs get really hot in a very small area which is why we recommend a quality heatsink to keep them cool.

This was a single XR-E LED driven at 1000mA with a buck puck in a beer glass of salt water.

Bill

an alternate interpretation to this is that the water was not boiling - it was decomposing (chemically breaking down into O2 and H2) running electricity through water is called electrolisis and the precipitation you noticed will also occur in the process - just a thought

as far as the OP - i had one fall off and simply set it back on and turned the LED on - the heat fused it back on and it has never fallen off sense - so no glue may be neccessary ??? don't know just know it worked for me in this one instance

OP
OP
jarred1

jarred1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the replies so far. I think I am going to try to use elmers glue when I get home, I'll let you all know how it goes.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 38 37.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 54 52.9%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 3.9%
Back