Wrasse for some hitchhikers?

Kelly3s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best non-aggressive and reef safe wrasse for zoa eating nudibranchs and aiptasia?

Nothing is out of control yet but picked up some nudis on a rock an anemone was attached to (too afraid to dip the whole nem so just did part of it). I picked out all I have seen and dipped the zoas on removable rocks.
And notice what I think is aiptasia on the underneath of some caves in the rock while looking for a fish.

I have a VERY friendly tank. Everyone gets along and I have a big mix of different corals. So I really want to make sure I don't disrupt things too much (kill the good mojo going on).

Suggestions?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know of any wrasses that eat aptasia!! For that you need peppermint shrimp can’t help you with a non aggressive wrasse to eat zoanthid eating nudibranch’s as I think sixline wrasses eat them but they are aggressive

OP
OP
Kelly3s

Kelly3s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, wrasses don't eat aptasia. What size tank? Current fish?
I had seen some people mention their six line will eat aiptasia. Maybe I just need to get a couple berghia nudibranchs for that problem.

I have a 75g with:
Lawnmover Blenny
Blue Hippo Tang
2 Clowns
Fox Face
Mandarin Goby
Watchman Goby (tiny)
Coral Beauty
Tailspot Goby (tiny)

1 Cleaner Shrimp
2 Emeralds
Snails

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off the top of my head here’s the ones I’d recommend:
H. iridis - Radiant Wrasse
These are beautiful however they can be hard to get past the shipping phase. Mine did wonders with euphyllia eating flatworms in the past. The photo below is of my Male iridis (The hinting signs of male are the face stripes but also the dorsal fin having almost no spots).
965B1842-70B7-46D0-A606-CD30375889F1.jpeg

H. chrysus- Yellow “Coris” Wrasse
These are a wrasse almost everyone goes to as their first or one of their first wrasses. Not only is it bright yellow but also great for pests, I personally haven’t really kept one but they are said to be a larger species compared to many of the “small” Halichoeres.
H. timorensis - Timor Wrasse
These are another beautiful wrasse, these seem to be a more uncommon species however they do have an excellent pest eating ability. These seem to be less sought after than the two mentioned above however they are just as beautiful.
H. biocellatus - Red Lined/Christmas Wrasse
These are beautiful as both males and females and are excellent pest hunters. These are another uncommon but often sought after wrasse. These are much more red but as they age and transition to male can have a green body and look very similar to H. rubricephalus.

I had seen some people mention their six line will eat aiptasia. Maybe I just need to get a couple berghia nudibranchs for that problem.

I have a 75g with:
Lawnmover Blenny
Blue Hippo Tang
2 Clowns
Fox Face
Mandarin Goby
Watchman Goby (tiny)
Coral Beauty
Tailspot Goby (tiny)

1 Cleaner Shrimp
2 Emeralds
Snails
That Hippo will get too large for the tank at some point so I would rehome it sooner personally. The foxface will also get rather large but assuming it’s a smaller Fox (Magnificus or Unimaculatus) and a 4’x2’x2’ tank it should be alright.
Just a warning, all wrasses have a chance at going for CUC (Specifically snails and hermits).
Also, by tailspot goby do you mean Tailsp

OP
OP
Kelly3s

Kelly3s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a 75g with:
Lawnmover Blenny
Blue Hippo Tang
2 Clowns
Fox Face
Mandarin Goby
Watchman Goby (tiny)
Coral Beauty
Tailspot Goby (tiny)

1 Cleaner Shrimp
2 Emeralds
Snails

I forgot to mention I also have a feather duster. As I have heard some wrasses will eat them?

OP
OP
Kelly3s

Kelly3s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off the top of my head here’s the ones I’d recommend:
H. iridis - Radiant Wrasse
These are beautiful however they can be hard to get past the shipping phase. Mine did wonders with euphyllia eating flatworms in the past. The photo below is of my Male iridis (The hinting signs of male are the face stripes but also the dorsal fin having almost no spots).
965B1842-70B7-46D0-A606-CD30375889F1.jpeg

H. chrysus- Yellow “Coris” Wrasse
These are a wrasse almost everyone goes to as their first or one of their first wrasses. Not only is it bright yellow but also great for pests, I personally haven’t really kept one but they are said to be a larger species compared to many of the “small” Halichoeres.
H. timorensis - Timor Wrasse
These are another beautiful wrasse, these seem to be a more uncommon species however they do have an excellent pest eating ability. These seem to be less sought after than the two mentioned above however they are just as beautiful.
H. biocellatus - Red Lined/Christmas Wrasse
These are beautiful as both males and females and are excellent pest hunters. These are another uncommon but often sought after wrasse. These are much more red but as they age and transition to male can have a green body and look very similar to H. rubricephalus.

That Hippo will get too large for the tank at some point so I would rehome it sooner personally. The foxface will also get rather large but assuming it’s a smaller Fox (Magnificus or Unimaculatus) and a 4’x2’x2’ tank it should be alright.
Just a warning, all wrasses have a chance at going for CUC (Specifically snails and hermits).
Also, by tailspot goby do you mean Tailsp

Sorry, Tail Spot Blenny.
Yeah, got lots of snails that do a great job. Dang. Hate to lose them.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

BUY OR DIY! WHICH DO YOU PREFER? SHARE YOUR DIY PROJECTS IN THE THREAD!

• I prefer to buy!

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • I prefer to DIY!

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • It depends on the project or equipment I need!

Votes: 59 60.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back