Wrasses

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Slocke @i cant think

Finally going to get a wrasse when Im ready for it in the 300 gallon! I have 3 wrasses I narrowed it down to. Im thinking of only getting one of them. Advice?

Dragon wrasse
Red coris wrasse
Formosa wrasse

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Slocke @i cant think

Finally going to get a wrasse when Im ready for it in the 300 gallon! I have 3 wrasses I narrowed it down to. Im thinking of only getting one of them. Advice?

Dragon wrasse
Is the hardiest and most fun also probably the most aggressive.
Red coris wrasse
More sensitive but less aggressive also in my opinion the prettiest
Formosa wrasse
See above but bigger

I personally am a massive fan of the red. It’s just so pretty @OrchidMiss can show off hers here hopefully.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the red Cori’s as well. I only have a 220 so they are too big for my tank. Dragons are cool but too aggressive from what I read.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the red Cori’s as well. I only have a 220 so they are too big for my tank. Dragons are cool but too aggressive from what I read.
How big is yours?? And do you have a picture??

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have one since my big tank is only a 220g. I wish I could. But if I had a 300 I would seriously consider one.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Slocke anything I should be aware of between these two that I havnt run across in research??
I’ve heard tell that the coris wrasse do best if bought at a medium size. Say 3-5 inches. Juveniles can be a bit pickier. Oh and it needs sand of course. Other than that it’s a pretty standard fish.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard tell that the coris wrasse do best if bought at a medium size. Say 3-5 inches. Juveniles can be a bit pickier. Oh and it needs sand of course. Other than that it’s a pretty standard fish.
Yeah I want a larger one so its not a target for my other fish or my eel to eat it! He likes cleaner wrasse meals… and Im going to get fine sand for this tank since I want to add some more delicate fish and dont want them to get scraped by the sand I have now

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be prepared for all these wrasse to be rearranging anything that isn’t bolted down() we also call the dragon wrasse the rock mover for good reason. The red coris wrasse is a very beautiful fish that I’ve captured thousands of through the years. They can be finicky if they’re less than 3”-4” but after that they’re pretty sturdy fish. In the wild they swim around on the edges where the reef meets the sand and rubble accumulates. They’re constantly flipping rocks looking for inverts to snatch up. When we are diving we will turn over a piece of rubble and it’s like ringing the dinner bell. You’ll have several inquisitive coris show up for a free meal.

Be aware they get almost 20” long!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be prepared for all these wrasse to be rearranging anything that isn’t bolted down() we also call the dragon wrasse the rock mover for good reason. The red coris wrasse is a very beautiful fish that I’ve captured thousands of through the years. They can be finicky if they’re less than 3”-4” but after that they’re pretty sturdy fish. In the wild they swim around on the edges where the reef meets the sand and rubble accumulates. They’re constantly flipping rocks looking for inverts to snatch up. When we are diving we will turn over a piece of rubble and it’s like ringing the dinner bell. You’ll have several inquisitive coris show up for a free meal.

Be aware they get almost 20” long!
Oh yes, I have other fish that like to move rocks too so Im going to be cementing them together this time around! And yeah with the size of these 3 thats why I was only looking at one of them! But the red coris is very stunning

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forty-odd years ago, I watched an employee at the Aquarium Stock Company acclimating a new fish shipment. He tossed a Cleaner Wrasse into a tank that had a 5" Dragon. The Dragon immediately bit it in two.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol yep! My fang tooth was okay with him cleaning him but I guess he got a little too close to his mouth on feeding day and boom meal
Forty-odd years ago, I watched an employee at the Aquarium Stock Company acclimating a new fish shipment. He tossed a Cleaner Wrasse into a tank that had a 5" Dragon. The Dragon immediately bit it in two.

Captain-Barnacle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certain Wrasses have the reputation of being the smartest fish in the sea. I recommend not choosing this variety-

1716248217689.png

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back