Xp8 collective

reeefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a standalone XS with two WiFi strips however I recently purchased a XP8. With regards to setting it up:

1. Should the XS or the XP8 take preference under WiFi Master Priority? I’m powering the XS via a command bus cable from the XP8 if that changes anything re: priority.

2. I plan on still using a single WiFi strip, is it ok to plug it into the XP8?

3. Do I have to recreate each output that I’m moving over to the XP8 or can I simply switch the output device from the WiFi strip to the XP8?

4. More of a conceptual question, I have a hydros water level sensor in the back of the AIO as a fail safe if the tunze nano ATO float switch fails. Using the XP8, if my WiFi goes out, the sensor will still work since it’s now a wired connection? Was always worried about the sensor not working if WiFi went out.

Thanks!

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydros Facebook group is fantastic. Carlos is also in there all the time helping.

I am no expert but I do have a collective that includes several things.

1: The WiFi priority should not matter. Mine sometimes changes what is master if I loose WiFi and it returns.

2: Yes you can plug the WiFi strip into the xp8

3: I THINK you will have to create new outputs. I sometimes hear of people removing a device or output and having it still show up…. I’d ask this on the facebook group. I think it sometimes requires a reboot after changes. I have not had to deal with this.

4: yes. As long as power is still supplied everything will still work even without WiFi.

TBSB2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want to set one to master and one to secondary with the wifi. It doesn't matter which is primary or secondary. You shouldn't have more then one as the primary. (I don't remember the exact wording)

You can plug the wifi strips in to the XP8. If wifi goes down, they will still revert to your loss connection status (off or on) I no longer use the wifi strips on anything that is really needed for this reason.

You can just change the output in the setting from the existing plug to the new plug. No need to recreate.

The level sensor will still work without wifi.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a standalone XS with two WiFi strips however I recently purchased a XP8. With regards to setting it up:

1. Should the XS or the XP8 take preference under WiFi Master Priority? I’m powering the XS via a command bus cable from the XP8 if that changes anything re: priority.

2. I plan on still using a single WiFi strip, is it ok to plug it into the XP8?

3. Do I have to recreate each output that I’m moving over to the XP8 or can I simply switch the output device from the WiFi strip to the XP8?

4. More of a conceptual question, I have a hydros water level sensor in the back of the AIO as a fail safe if the tunze nano ATO float switch fails. Using the XP8, if my WiFi goes out, the sensor will still work since it’s now a wired connection? Was always worried about the sensor not working if WiFi went out.

Thanks!
It the XS is the controller you have been using then create the collective with the XS before adding the XP8 and the collective will automatically import all the settings currently on your XS. Then power down the system and add a command bus cable between the XS and XP8. Then remove the power supply that connects to a command bus port on the XS since that is not compatible with other sources of power on the bus. Then add at least one terminator or two if you have two to the open bus ports on the controllers. Then power it back up and add and setup the wifi credentials on the XP8 and also check firmware to make sure it is the same as the XS which should be current also, Now you can add it to the collective using devices from the left menu when you have the collective accessed. Once added you can switch any outputs you have setup from a wifi strip outlet to a XP8 outlet by changing the output device in the settings for that output.

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 62 54.4%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 44 38.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back