Yellow Tang breathing rate

Kruss7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, this little yellow tang is new and has not been medicated at all. Just in observation.

Background
-Tang is eating well
-Tang swims around a lot
-I haven’t noticed any issues other than possibly this and that flash?

Let me know if this breathing is considered fast? This fish has been with me for about 40 hours.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey guys, this little yellow tang is new and has not been medicated at all. Just in observation.

Background
-Tang is eating well
-Tang swims around a lot
-I haven’t noticed any issues other than possibly this and that flash?

Let me know if this breathing is considered fast? This fish has been with me for about 40 hours.

Assure temperature is not elevated. This is the lost time you endure without medicating. You have gotten this far with setting up a nice QT tank,,,, best is to medicate with coppersafe at 2.25 monitored with hanna copper test kit and follow with PraziPro at 85% of dosage after 21 days of copper for 2 applications 8 days apart. In a week if you suddenly see ich as example, you have lost over a week of potential treatment/prevention

OP
OP
K

Kruss7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assure temperature is not elevated. This is the lost time you endure without medicating. You have gotten this far with setting up a nice QT tank,,,, best is to medicate with coppersafe at 2.25 monitored with hanna copper test kit and follow with PraziPro at 85% of dosage after 21 days of copper for 2 applications 8 days apart. In a week if you suddenly see ich as example, you have lost over a week of potential treatment/prevention
Temp is 77.4

I am planning on medicating and was going to get copper to 2.25 today. Just concerned with the breathing? Should I be doing prazi first or maybe a formalin dip? Is the breathing considered fast?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Temp is 77.4

I am planning on medicating and was going to get copper to 2.25 today. Just concerned with the breathing? Should I be doing prazi first or maybe a formalin dip? Is the breathing considered fast?
No formalin which you may not even find. If you are suspecting flukes you can give tang FW dip same temp as tank with aeration as its breathing rapid for temporary relief. With flukes you will see darting, scratching, yawning effect and sluggishness. While you can start with prazi, the concern is ich or similar emerging and you have to make the switch.
OPTION: You can use general cure which will contain small amount of prazi and metroplex

OP
OP
K

Kruss7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No formalin which you may not even find. If you are suspecting flukes you can give tang FW dip same temp as tank with aeration as its breathing rapid for temporary relief. With flukes you will see darting, scratching, yawning effect and sluggishness. While you can start with prazi, the concern is ich or similar emerging and you have to make the switch.
OPTION: You can use general cure which will contain small amount of prazi and metroplex
I have formalin on hand.

I’m not sure if I suspect flukes, fish is very active. I have now got copper to 2.25. Should I be suspecting something is wrong considering how it is acting?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have formalin on hand.

I’m not sure if I suspect flukes, fish is very active. I have now got copper to 2.25. Should I be suspecting something is wrong considering how it is acting?
It may be upfront reaction to copper. Retest and assure its at at 2.25 and has not climbed. Adding an airstone will help increase oxygen.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well fish was breathing like this before the copper, I will increase oxygen.

It is breathing a bit fast and a bit open mouthed, but not too bad. The Banggai seems to be breathing fine. Shoot for a water temperature of 78 or 79, and add an air stone (don't rely just on circulation). If you see it scratching/flashing, as well as breathing fast, then you would want to address a possible gill flukes issue.

OP
OP
K

Kruss7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is breathing a bit fast and a bit open mouthed, but not too bad. The Banggai seems to be breathing fine. Shoot for a water temperature of 78 or 79, and add an air stone (don't rely just on circulation). If you see it scratching/flashing, as well as breathing fast, then you would want to address a possible gill flukes issue.
breathing looks normal now, fish was eating then stopped. I am concerned it might look bloated? What’s your thoughts? It hasn’t eaten for just today.

Attachments

• IMG_8576.jpeg
    IMG_8576.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8575.jpeg
    IMG_8575.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8574.jpeg
    IMG_8574.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8568.jpeg
    IMG_8568.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 6

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really concerning me how fast this has came on and it completely ignoring food

Yes - looking full like that and not eating is a huge issue. The way it looks all "lumpy", I'd say that it could have a bowel obstruction. There is no treatment for this in marine fish, but they sometimes work themselves out.

OP
OP
K

Kruss7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - looking full like that and not eating is a huge issue. The way it looks all "lumpy", I'd say that it could have a bowel obstruction. There is no treatment for this in marine fish, but they sometimes work themselves out.
Is this possibly a swim bladder or do you think it’s definitely a bowel issue?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this possibly a swim bladder or do you think it’s definitely a bowel issue?
Swim bladder issues tend to change the fish’s buoyancy. In this case, if it were excess gas, the fish would struggle to stay down. This shows as a bobbing motion as they swim, usually head downwards a bit. Your fish doesn’t show that in the video.

OP
OP
K

Kruss7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swim bladder issues tend to change the fish’s buoyancy. In this case, if it were excess gas, the fish would struggle to stay down. This shows as a bobbing motion as they swim, usually head downwards a bit. Your fish doesn’t show that in the video.
Fish still isn’t eating and is looking just as bloated. Just a waiting game I guess? There’s no meds that can help it’s digestive system?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish still isn’t eating and is looking just as bloated. Just a waiting game I guess? There’s no meds that can help it’s digestive system?
Sorry, no meds that you can add to the water, only in the food. You’ll read about adding Epsom salts to the water, but that only works with freshwater fish, as marine fish are already swimming in that salt.

OP
OP
K

Kruss7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, no meds that you can add to the water, only in the food. You’ll read about adding Epsom salts to the water, but that only works with freshwater fish, as marine fish are already swimming in that salt.
It seems like I’m not the only person that’s experienced this with biota captive bred tangs

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 10.3%
Back