OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights out best and feed even flakes in the morning and see if both eat and if tang allows trigger to eat as most fish are aggressive at feeding time
I think he is done being aggressive towards the trigger and never was aggressive during feeding time. Just worried about the majestic cause I haven’t seen him eat yet

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I think he is done being aggressive towards the trigger and never was aggressive during feeding time. Just worried about the majestic cause I haven’t seen him eat yet
majestic- Try live brine shrimp or blackworms, LRS fish frenzy or Masstiks gel food

OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I let him out and the yellow tang of course had him in a corner tail flapping him so I put the tang in the acclimation box until the majestic can get used to the tank! Is this a good idea?

OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
majestic- Try live brine shrimp or blackworms, LRS fish frenzy or Masstiks gel food
So I let him out and the yellow tang of course had him in a corner tail flapping him so I put the tang in the acclimation box until the majestic can get used to the tank! Is this a good idea?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
yes. Likely testing him but allow trigger to roam the tank and let yellow watch what he's missing

OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. Likely testing him but allow trigger to roam the tank and let yellow watch what he's missing
It’s the majestic that he was doing that too once I released him but I had him in the acc box all day and night last night and released him right before the lights came on and he was tail flapping him not attacking. The trigger is happily swimming around the tank like he owns it now and still eating good! The yellow stopped messing with the trigger yesterday night and didn’t mess with him all day yesterday. So now I have the yellow tang in the acclimation box.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the mirror and other photo of tangs on the glass. I like to put the mirror on the front glass, in the middle. And the photos of the other tangs on the sides of the glass.

Like I said, the new fish additions will still be harassed for 2-3 days, and the dominant yellow should either accept it or at least much less aggression. But some tangs are just straight ******s and will not stop. I take in a lot of rescue fishes that got bullied almost to death. My most recent gem tang got his fins and tail chewed up badly.

But try the mirror, leave it there for 2-3 days, so they tire themselves out with their own reflection. If they are that aggressive, they would hate their own reflection and go hard at it.

OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the mirror and other photo of tangs on the glass. I like to put the mirror on the front glass, in the middle. And the photos of the other tangs on the sides of the glass.

Like I said, the new fish additions will still be harassed for 2-3 days, and the dominant yellow should either accept it or at least much less aggression. But some tangs are just straight ******s and will not stop. I take in a lot of rescue fishes that got bullied almost to death. My most recent gem tang got his fins and tail chewed up badly.

But try the mirror, leave it there for 2-3 days, so they tire themselves out with their own reflection. If they are that aggressive, they would hate their own reflection and go hard at it.

So you’re saying release the tang back into the tank and just put up a mirror? You don’t think the tang will calm down being in the acclimation box for a day or two so that the majestic can get settled in?

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you’re saying release the tang back into the tank and just put up a mirror? You don’t think the tang will calm down being in the acclimation box for a day or two so that the majestic can get settled in?
Provided there is no physical damage being done, or consistent harassment, I let them finish the hierarchy, it’s going to have to happen at one point anyways..but once set…..bingo!…. Good till you add the next.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
It’s the majestic that he was doing that too once I released him but I had him in the acc box all day and night last night and released him right before the lights came on and he was tail flapping him not attacking. The trigger is happily swimming around the tank like he owns it now and still eating good! The yellow stopped messing with the trigger yesterday night and didn’t mess with him all day yesterday. So now I have the yellow tang in the acclimation box.
Trigger - thats what I thought. The majestic, I expect as previously some issues for two to three days
The mirroe does not work all the time and I will not stand there with a mirror hoping for the best. I have 26 tangs and never used a mirror

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Provided there is no physical damage being done, or consistent harassment, I let them finish the hierarchy, it’s going to have to happen at one point anyways..but once set…..bingo!…. Good till you add the next.
Very bad risk - To walk away and find a fish shredded is not recommended. I have many tangs and many other fish and will Not let one shredd another with their scalpels

OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very bad risk - To walk away and find a fish shredded is not recommended. I have many tangs and many other fish and will Not let one shredd another with their scalpels
I think I’m gonna leave the tang in the box for a couple days and let the majestic get settled in that way he can at least hold his own when I do let the tang out and if he is still aggressive when I let him out. It’s worth a try I guess

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, keep the tang in the time out box for a couple days. But at some point, you will have to let him back out. At that point, I would try the mirror, photos of other tangs, and anything that will at least try to distract any dominant fishes in the DT. Do it for a couple days, and see what happens. Some fishes just jive with each other after they exert their dominance. Some people release more than 1 fish at a time to spread the aggression. Do what you can. There are no guarantees. For me, the mirror has done wonders when introducing new fish because my PBT and desjardini are very aggressive, and they are charging the mirror all day long. I can only imagine if they were not charging at the mirror, they would probably be charging at the new fish.

I don't hold the mirror with my hands, it is just sitting on the ledge on my stand and leaning on the glass. I actually leave it sitting there so the fish sees their own reflection for 1-2 days when I introduce new fish.

OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, keep the tang in the time out box for a couple days. But at some point, you will have to let him back out. At that point, I would try the mirror, photos of other tangs, and anything that will at least try to distract any dominant fishes in the DT. Do it for a couple days, and see what happens. Some fishes just jive with each other after they exert their dominance. Some people release more than 1 fish at a time to spread the aggression. Do what you can. There are no guarantees. For me, the mirror has done wonders when introducing new fish because my PBT and desjardini are very aggressive, and they are charging the mirror all day long. I can only imagine if they were not charging at the mirror, they would probably be charging at the new fish.

I don't hold the mirror with my hands, it is just sitting on the ledge on my stand and leaning on the glass. I actually leave it sitting there so the fish sees their own reflection for 1-2 days when I introduce new fish.
I will try the mirror after I let him out in a couple days but wouldn’t that spook the new fish also?

OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All your new fish have been fine after doing the mirror for a couple days?

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never said anything about walking away.
Can’t stay in a little box forever.
So is it an hour, a day, a week?

Any fish that instantly shreds another was IMM, just a poor match. Lots a postering, flashing can look bad, but only if contact is made, or the fish is “pinned” constantly without a break do I move to employing other techniques to aid the entry.

Last edited:

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m gonna leave the tang in the box for a couple days and let the majestic get settled in that way he can at least hold his own when I do let the tang out and if he is still aggressive when I let him out. It’s worth a try I guess
Sure, only you can estimate when it seems reasonable, every combo is different.

For me, upon entry in the box, if no attention is payed to the newcomer whatsoever in the first day during daylight, in he goes.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Never said anything about walking away.
Can’t stay in a little box forever.
So is it an hour, a day, a week?

Any fish that instantly shreds another was IMM, just a poor match. Lots a postering, flashing can look bad, but only if contact is made, or the fish is “pinned” constantly without a break do I move to employing other techniques to aid the entry.
Walking away meaning in absence to come back and see fish shredded. A couple days is sufficient and I often state a few days, based on observations and fish after two days as advised was released and went back to it, confirming why you dont let them have at it.
We dont wait for fish to get pinned constantly to determine its a good time to remove it.

OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, only you can estimate when it seems reasonable, every combo is different.

For me, upon entry in the box, if no attention is payed to the newcomer whatsoever in the first day during daylight, in he goes.
The yellow is ticked that he is in the box that’s for sure but when the majestic was in the box the yellow never went up to him or showed any aggression but once I let him out the tang was tail flapping him in a corner. Wasn’t attacking him or anything just maybe showing who the boss is but I just don’t trust it with such an expensive fish. The yellow did the same thing to the trigger but stopped after about 2 days but that’s also a trigger and very different than an angel. Since putting the tang in the box the majestic is swimming around and he was eating live brine shrimp yesterday and today.

WOULD YOU EVER CONSIDER HAVING A FOWLR TANK? WHAT WOULD BE YOUR FIRST FISH?

• Yes!

Votes: 32 39.0%
  • No...

Votes: 31 37.8%
  • I already have one!

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I did have one, but I don't anymore...

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back