Yellowback fusilier -- Anyone had one?

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had someone order these guys and I don't think I had ever worked with them before. Really cool fish, but you can tell was built like a torpedo. Clearly loves to swim but gets along with just about everything in the tank as he is just a little fella for now.

Anyone ever have a full-grown Yellowback fusilier? (Caesio xanthonota)

Fish-34.jpg

OP
OP
Dierks

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen them in captivity, but it's been a bit. They get big, like 6"- 9" or so. They will eat cuc, hardcore like trigger style consumption. They are a beautiful shoaling fish, best for a fowlr or predator tank.
6-9" isn't massive though so that is nice. We have tangs in our tanks much larger. Can tell this fella loves to swim. And his colors are awesome. A gentle Trigger kinda sounds awesome for a larger tank...

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the wild the fish exceed 1 foot. How that translates to captivity is hard to say but I'd wager 15" is a strong possibility. Also as you pointed out it is built for speed so will need a good open swim lane to feel comfortable.

Reminds me a bit of my Pink Square Anthias who hide their potential length well. Pretty fish although it will be interesting to see how it maintains its color as it matures.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it, its beautiful, wish i could have one.

And I love the name. If you are not familiar, fusiliers is french for riflemen. Many french regiments are named 'Les fusilier de'... which means ' the rifleman of (name your town)'. - Sorry, just passing on old man knowledge.

OP
OP
Dierks

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the wild the fish exceed 1 foot. How that translates to captivity is hard to say but I'd wager 15" is a strong possibility. Also as you pointed out it is built for speed so will need a good open swim lane to feel comfortable.
Now 15" is much more fish to manage!! I would assume this guy will be stunted as that is the nature of our tanks. Hopefully, this little fella has a wonderful life in a very large tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now 15" is much more fish to manage!! I would assume this guy will be stunted as that is the nature of our tanks. Hopefully, this little fella has a wonderful life in a very large tank.
If I’m honest, even a stunted fish I’d expect 1’. The general rule is fish in captivity will get to ~80% of their maximum size in the wild so it’s definitely a lot of fish to handle even at 12-13 inches.

Back