!!YOU'RE GOING To LIKE ME NOW!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
don't think its granny or a lokani. the tips are way to flat and over all growth is much different from anything that i have at least considered a granny lol.

it's more like an echinata to me than anything else but a tight bodied one. now I'm fairly are its not an ech either but its reminds me more of one than anything else i can think of.

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because it hasn't been mentioned I would add speciosa to the differential diagnosis!

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of the guesses I would say granulosa looks the closest. But I thought the only real way to positively ID an acro was with a skeletal examination. I do have a really good microscope for the job :)
Just no clue what I would look at/for :(

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tops are Jacquelinea, echinata, speciosa, baturnai, caroliniana, desalwii based on the origional pic but seriously doubt that last one.

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'd vote A. nasuta. They come in as digitate tables but start to morph in captivity and pop out the long tubular corallites from the tips.
052-2.jpg

Yours has completed the transformation in the past 6 months and now is a captive form shortcake without the green. At least that is my theory :)

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'd vote A. nasuta. They come in as digitate tables but start to morph in captivity and pop out the long tubular corallites from the tips.
052-2.jpg

Yours has completed the transformation in the past 6 months and now is a captive form shortcake without the green. At least that is my theory :)

At first i was like no messing way but the more i though about it and looked at it i think that kind of makes sense. I mean the colors id buy that and perhaps the structure. But alas... it ultimately looks nothing like anything i'd considered a nasuta or microclados or any other long captive shortcake in my system. its those elongated coralites that makes me think no on that one now too. but you make an extremely good case. The newer tips do look a lot like nasuta tips.

ha ha maybe you're right man. coming back to this after another look at my pic. I don't know man what you said is making more and more sense:) if not a nasuta, something similar that has adapted fully to captive life and thriving as it would in the wild.

this one has been captive almost two years now as well. My colony was grown from a decent sized frag on that square tile so the transformation happened much longer ago i believe as well. everything you see is captive growth.

what do you think?

Last edited:

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a back up frag in different conditions? Could the growth be compacted from water conditions where it's at? Would be neat to see what it looked like in different flow. Just as an aside do you think the switch to LED's brought this one around?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the frag Adam, for what ever it will be printed in History I have already a spot for it.
As always looking forward to the BB (BattleBox).

:crossedlips:

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
Adam, this is a pic from Veron of A. Jacquelineae taken from the link on last page. It seems pretty similar

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 545
Last edited:
OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm pretty sure its not one of your typical "deepwater" thinbranchers like many of you have suggested. I really think Tim may have nailed it and more i thought about it it brought to mind mature colonies of the pink lemonade. Very similar long coralites in the older growth once its been growing a while and has some considerable size.

Not the most glamorous acro by name but if its not an actual nausuta, then its just a few clicks over for sure:) Im pretty confident Tim's got this one pegged. Coming full circle to the first sentence of this thread. Its amazing how corals will develop once they have been fully acclimated and on their way to maturity in captivity;)

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeah, I'm sticking with nasuta or microclados...maybe more microclados...I wasn't home and didn't have my books handy. I think it could be morphologically a bit unusual, possibly due to captivity, or possibly due to some unusual genetics, probably a combination.

Either way it is a looker!

And a second thought on it...those who have grown a lot of Acropora from frags know that sometimes they hit that magical moment when they suddenly sprout new growth that looks totally different out of an encrusted base, or explode with new growth tips in every direction making them absolutely unique and stunning. I think that might be going on here too.

Last edited:

ryan803

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not even gonna venture a guess on to what it is...
But I will name it...gotta keep it simple
BC Pink Secret

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping an old thread to show appreciation for one of my top 5 acros I have ever come across. Our colony is now dinner plate sized and I can tell you its an incredible shade of lavender with hot red polyps. Looks incredible in any light.

Also, I've been through ever species on AIMS and I can't figure it out. I actually was thinking a mythical "tabling-Echinata" was the closest description before I saw this thread and Adam's writing. It grows completely differently from Nasuta or Microclados (I have grown this in 3 different systems).

Hard to fit it into one frame, but heres our colony (with Walt Disney peaking into frame on bottom right):
9pT1wZq.jpg

reef80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping an old thread to show appreciation for one of my top 5 acros I have ever come across. Our colony is now dinner plate sized and I can tell you its an incredible shade of lavender with hot red polyps. Looks incredible in any light.

Also, I've been through ever species on AIMS and I can't figure it out. I actually was thinking a mythical "tabling-Echinata" was the closest description before I saw this thread and Adam's writing. It grows completely differently from Nasuta or Microclados (I have grown this in 3 different systems).

Hard to fit it into one frame, but heres our colony (with Walt Disney peaking into frame on bottom right):
9pT1wZq.jpg
Holy Smokes! How many years of growth is that?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 68 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 53 34.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back