OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How are things going with your flow? I finally have my tank filled and heated as of last night! I have one Icecap 4K gyre (4K GPH vs the 350’s 5K) but no controller (BTW, with buoyant water in the tank the magnet holds perfectly). I had planned to use my 4K and controller from another tank but I’m going to keep that tank as an obs tank and I need some kind of powerhead for it.

So I’m torn between buying another 4K with the Hydros Wave Engine LE that can control 2 pumps, or buying a second pump-only and the full Hydros Wave Engine that can control 4 gyre’s total in case I need to add 2 more. Do you think your 2x 350’s alone would be enough flow, or should I plan for more powerheads? I know you’re using WAV’s as well but my question is whether you feel like they’re definitely needed.

On the downside, the full Wave Engine is out of stock literally everywhere so I might have to cross my fingers while I cycle.
Hey there! Things are going ok. I've been caught up with lots of case work at my job and then with my newborn. Hasn't given me much time to update you all.

I'm still trying to fine tune my flow. I have moved things around numerous times trying to find a spot where the sand doesn't get blown all over the place. I found a setup where the sand lasted about 5 days before finally starting to show glass at the bottom. I may leave it here as is. It might be more prudent to simply push the sand back when I go and fill my ATO. Or lets be honest, how long will I want to keep up with this right? I had thought about placing my gyres on the back wall vertically and facing them towards the front. They may be too big for this position and it may just stir up the sand far more. I should give it a go though. Jeesh. Typing it out makes me realize I really don't have the flow figured out just out with regards to positioning. As far as how much flow, I've got my pumps turned down quite a bit. I've got more then enough power for when needed.

I am not familiar with any of the Hydros stuff at all. I hear nothing but good things about the wave engine but haven't ever looked into it. As for the XF350's, they are overpowered for our applications. I used to run mine down at 10% as high up on the tank as I could. That was sufficient flow for now without many coral. Currently, I've got them down about 5 inches and turned up to 40%. Any more power and things get blown everywhere. I should note that I also have two WAVs positioned right next to the overflow. Both are pointing slightly upward and towards the front glass. These are turned pretty high. They disrupt the turbulence from the gyres. When these guys go off, the gyres cause quite a commotion. I don't think I will need to add any more flow even when things start growing in. I should be fine just turning these up.

Were the WAVs needed? Yes and no. Not needed for flow by any means. Again, I have things turned way down. They were needed for diverse flow. I didn't use them for about a month. I don't like the hum on them. As I found the right % on my gyres, I added the WAVs to the back and mixed things up. That's really all I need them for.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Bad:

So I like purchasing all of my fish from Dr. Reef. Quarantined Fish. The wifey has tried being very involved with this build. She was being proactive and went to the LFS and purchased a coral beauty. I got home to the surprise in the tank. The CB looked to extremely fat to me. It was active but just seemed bloated. It continued getting more and more bloated over the next 3 days. On day 3, I had to take it out. Even its eyeballs looked bloated. I knew the fish was not going to make it so I sadly didn't bother putting it in a hospital tank.
Next morning, purple tang dead. Its flesh seemed to melt off its body. Later in the evening, my clownfish dead of the same thing. Next morning, my bicolor foxface, cardinal fish, and engineer goby all dead. All appeared to literally have their flesh fall right off their bodies. Posted on here in a separate thread. Pros chimed in but we could not come to a consensus as to what happened. I had a firefish goby, two purple firefish, yellow watchmen, and all of my cleanup crew survive. Still don't know what happened.

The Good:

The wifey now knows why we buy only quarantined fish. After this event, she was on board for setting up a hospital tank in a different area in the house. We will still buy QT fish only but now we will have the ability to QT and observe fish as needed.

I had an order with Dr. Reef from November for a group of chromis and an emperor angel (juvenile). They were already in QT when this event happened. We are just waiting on temps to get better before they get shipped to me. I am really hoping those guys do fine and we see no sign of whatever apparent viral infection had hit my tank. I will pull these guys if they start showing signs.

There is another LFS nearby that sells black mollies already converted to SW. I purchased two and threw them in. Left them in for 10 days. No signs of anything. That is why I am going to add the angel and see if we are good to go. The black mollies went back to the LFS.

I really hope things are ok with regards to the viral disease because I have a huge order scheduled for late March or early April. I placed the order back in November planning on the tank being ready by April. We shall see.

MW319

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bad:

So I like purchasing all of my fish from Dr. Reef. Quarantined Fish. The wifey has tried being very involved with this build. She was being proactive and went to the LFS and purchased a coral beauty. I got home to the surprise in the tank. The CB looked to extremely fat to me. It was active but just seemed bloated. It continued getting more and more bloated over the next 3 days. On day 3, I had to take it out. Even its eyeballs looked bloated. I knew the fish was not going to make it so I sadly didn't bother putting it in a hospital tank.
Next morning, purple tang dead. Its flesh seemed to melt off its body. Later in the evening, my clownfish dead of the same thing. Next morning, my bicolor foxface, cardinal fish, and engineer goby all dead. All appeared to literally have their flesh fall right off their bodies. Posted on here in a separate thread. Pros chimed in but we could not come to a consensus as to what happened. I had a firefish goby, two purple firefish, yellow watchmen, and all of my cleanup crew survive. Still don't know what happened.

The Good:

The wifey now knows why we buy only quarantined fish. After this event, she was on board for setting up a hospital tank in a different area in the house. We will still buy QT fish only but now we will have the ability to QT and observe fish as needed.

I had an order with Dr. Reef from November for a group of chromis and an emperor angel (juvenile). They were already in QT when this event happened. We are just waiting on temps to get better before they get shipped to me. I am really hoping those guys do fine and we see no sign of whatever apparent viral infection had hit my tank. I will pull these guys if they start showing signs.

There is another LFS nearby that sells black mollies already converted to SW. I purchased two and threw them in. Left them in for 10 days. No signs of anything. That is why I am going to add the angel and see if we are good to go. The black mollies went back to the LFS.

I really hope things are ok with regards to the viral disease because I have a huge order scheduled for late March or early April. I placed the order back in November planning on the tank being ready by April. We shall see.
Sorry to hear about the bad but glade you added the good part.

I purchase a yellow belly regal angel from Mike and received it 09/15. Below is a pic from 9/15 and one from today. I’m a big fan of Dr Reefs and hope you have great success when your new guys arrive.

Attachments

• 2439C7F9-DA26-42E2-9D66-791AA0CC5729.jpeg
    2439C7F9-DA26-42E2-9D66-791AA0CC5729.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 66F659D3-F22A-4D0F-AE02-F6932BF7ADEA.jpeg
    66F659D3-F22A-4D0F-AE02-F6932BF7ADEA.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear about the bad but glade you added the good part.

I purchase a yellow belly regal angel from Mike and received it 09/15. Below is a pic from 9/15 and one from today. I’m a big fan of Dr Reefs and hope you have great success when your new guys arrive.
O ya. I've got nothing but praises to sing of Mike at Dr. Reef's. I've ordered multiple times. I stocked my 300 gallon with only fish from him. Will always recommend him to anyone.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bad:

The Good:

Sorry to hear about your fish. No idea what it was? What caused it?

I'm lucky and have a LFS that will hold fish in QT for me. Good Luck.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear about your fish. No idea what it was? What caused it?

I'm lucky and have a LFS that will hold fish in QT for me. Good Luck.
I don't. I started an emergency thread on here and some of the big guys were immediately tagged in my post. However, with the information I provided and several pictures, they still couldn't give me even an educated guess on what it was. I've set up a hospital tank in case I have to move the fish over. I am hopeful seeing that the black mollies did great.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really excited. I have an order coming in today from Dr. Reef Quarantined Fish. All fish in my system appear nice and healthy. Again, the black mollies showed no negative signs. We'll see how this emperor angel handles. If all goes well, I am bringing back my tangs from my buddies tank.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really excited. I have an order coming in today from Dr. Reef Quarantined Fish. All fish in my system appear nice and healthy. Again, the black mollies showed no negative signs. We'll see how this emperor angel handles. If all goes well, I am bringing back my tangs from my buddies tank.

Very cool. What else did you add?

I added a small adult Emperor last weekend. My Blueface keeps him at bay, mostly hides but he is eating. Hopefully they will get along with time.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool. What else did you add?

I added a small adult Emperor last weekend. My Blueface keeps him at bay, mostly hides but he is eating. Hopefully they will get along with time.
Well there are two separate orders which I am hoping are both sent together. I received an invoice for both but only 1 tracking number and only one has updated online.

Order #1 has the emperor angel, 5 trochus snails, and 5 nasaurius snails.
Order #2 (which was ordered months ago) has a desjardini tang and 6 chromis.

An emperor angelfish is my favorite fish. I've had one in the past. Sadly, it didn't survive my 300 gallon crash. too much stress. Anyhow, I've got a clam in there. Hoping the angel doesn't go for it. If it does then no clams for me. I want the angel to be the centerpiece of my aquarium.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alright so silly question but I’m going to ask anyways. Shouldn’t there be a visual difference between a sailfin tang and desjardini tang even when they are tiny? Got my tang today. It’s literally the size of a chromis. But I’m pretty sure it’s a basic sailfin and not a desjardini. Pics in the am.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so silly question but I’m going to ask anyways. Shouldn’t there be a visual difference between a sailfin tang and desjardini tang even when they are tiny? Got my tang today. It’s literally the size of a chromis. But I’m pretty sure it’s a basic sailfin and not a desjardini. Pics in the am.
desjardini will show its spots on its tail side. Even a young one. Do you have a pic to share?

BigMikeFlipz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through all 8 pages for this build, holy cow you've been through the ringer on the build! This makes me want to continue each step slowly, sounds like you have been doing this for a long time and can move faster, but I just would fear lots of issues. I'm definitely not the negative Nancy that has posted multiple times on your thread about doom and gloom though LOL.

Quick question for you guys with the 725XL (or similar), I see you tiled the floor, but what kind of floor support do you have? Is it on a slab, or do you have a crawl space? I have a fairly new house, 5 years, with a very small conditioned crawl space and have been told by someone that 1500lbs would be no issue for 5 feet, and maybe up to 2200lbs for 6 ft x 2.5ft. Not asking your advice, but what your flooring setup is.

Well done, will keep watching as I've looked at the large tanks from Red Sea and also Pro-Clear now.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through all 8 pages for this build, holy cow you've been through the ringer on the build! This makes me want to continue each step slowly, sounds like you have been doing this for a long time and can move faster, but I just would fear lots of issues. I'm definitely not the negative Nancy that has posted multiple times on your thread about doom and gloom though LOL.

Quick question for you guys with the 725XL (or similar), I see you tiled the floor, but what kind of floor support do you have? Is it on a slab, or do you have a crawl space? I have a fairly new house, 5 years, with a very small conditioned crawl space and have been told by someone that 1500lbs would be no issue for 5 feet, and maybe up to 2200lbs for 6 ft x 2.5ft. Not asking your advice, but what your flooring setup is.

Well done, will keep watching as I've looked at the large tanks from Red Sea and also Pro-Clear now.
I put the tank in the basement to avoid any structural issues; concrete slab on which I had waterproof luxury vinyl plank installed to replace a dingy old carpet. I figured an engineer would definitely have recommended additional bracing for such a large tank on the main floor and didn’t want to get into all of that. Plus this way I have a fish room next door to automate a lot of stuff!

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
desjardini will show its spots on its tail side. Even a young one. Do you have a pic to share?
208CCC3B-1C85-4905-9DE2-79C0282EB496.jpeg
Hmmm . . . On second thought, it does look like a Desjardini in pictures. It’s hard to tell because it’s so small, I’ve only had it for less than 24 hours, and it immediately hides when I’m watching it. I’m starting to think I’m mistaken.
B730A50E-A050-4662-9AB0-41411CE3C22C.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Hey thanks for the kind words. You know, it may have been a whirlwind of an adventure to get here but I can honestly say that I can’t beat the feeling of sitting in my fish room and enjoying the view. I’ve tried being as patient as I could, at times perhaps losing a little bit. But hey, the tank is up and running smoothly. Our guests love staring at it when they come over. My newborn is easily entertained with the lights and moving parts.
As for flooring, I didn’t have an engineer take a look. He stated that the floors “should” be good with the amount of weight. Still, I had a contractor come by and add support braces in the crawl space. The crawl space isn’t very big either but it’s big enough for me to crawl in and brace the floors. I did it before for my 300 but decided to have the contractor do it this time around since he was doing my floors already.

What concerns do you have about your build?

I admit I do have one gripe about this tank. I don’t like the size of the overflow box. It’s restrictive for the aquascape. If you are familiar with a 48” 55 gallon tank from petco, then imagine trying to scape that. Ya that’s what aquascaping the middle portion is like. Makes it difficult to adjust flow as well. Other than that, no other complaints.
Best of luck with your build. I’m looking forward to checking it out.

BigMikeFlipz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for the kind words. You know, it may have been a whirlwind of an adventure to get here but I can honestly say that I can’t beat the feeling of sitting in my fish room and enjoying the view. I’ve tried being as patient as I could, at times perhaps losing a little bit. But hey, the tank is up and running smoothly. Our guests love staring at it when they come over. My newborn is easily entertained with the lights and moving parts.
As for flooring, I didn’t have an engineer take a look. He stated that the floors “should” be good with the amount of weight. Still, I had a contractor come by and add support braces in the crawl space. The crawl space isn’t very big either but it’s big enough for me to crawl in and brace the floors. I did it before for my 300 but decided to have the contractor do it this time around since he was doing my floors already.

What concerns do you have about your build?

I admit I do have one gripe about this tank. I don’t like the size of the overflow box. It’s restrictive for the aquascape. If you are familiar with a 48” 55 gallon tank from petco, then imagine trying to scape that. Ya that’s what aquascaping the middle portion is like. Makes it difficult to adjust flow as well. Other than that, no other complaints.
Best of luck with your build. I’m looking forward to checking it out.
My main concern is with the weight distribution. Like mentioned, the house is basically brand new, and very well built, but just keep worrying that the big tanks I want are too much. Everyone keeps telling me I'm overthinking it. May just pay to have a little extra support done though, as I'm thinking about what other tanks I may want in the future in this room!

Forgot to say in the other post too, congrats on the newborn! She's adorable, enjoy those days, as they always say "they don't last". My boys are almost gone, and now hoping they come back to enjoy the fish with me!

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main concern is with the weight distribution. Like mentioned, the house is basically brand new, and very well built, but just keep worrying that the big tanks I want are too much. Everyone keeps telling me I'm overthinking it. May just pay to have a little extra support done though, as I'm thinking about what other tanks I may want in the future in this room!

Forgot to say in the other post too, congrats on the newborn! She's adorable, enjoy those days, as they always say "they don't last". My boys are almost gone, and now hoping they come back to enjoy the fish with me!
For me personally I think it’s worth having an engineer take a look. Setting up a tank is easy; sleeping easy that your floor can support it over the next 10 years is something else.

There’s a really good article out there I can’t find at the moment written by a structural engineer and linked from several forums. The gist was that standard construction can handle up to 125g perpendicular to the joists without much concern. Above that, might be good for someone to take a look.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
208CCC3B-1C85-4905-9DE2-79C0282EB496.jpeg
Hmmm . . . On second thought, it does look like a Desjardini in pictures. It’s hard to tell because it’s so small, I’ve only had it for less than 24 hours, and it immediately hides when I’m watching it. I’m starting to think I’m mistaken.
B730A50E-A050-4662-9AB0-41411CE3C22C.jpeg

You will defiantly know better as it grows but I think it is a Desjardini. Nice catch

I am still working on getting some good pics of my imperator I recently added.

Last edited:
Back