New WaveEngine 2 throwing "check pump" and running pumps intermittently

cowfootball

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new WE2 that's driving 2 XF330's and a Varios 4. I've just filled the tank and tried to turn them on and they're throwing "check pump" intermittently on all 3 pumps. Googling suggests this error is usually caused by trying to power the WE2 off the command bus port but I'm not: I'm powering it directly off the power brick.

Has anyone seen this before?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new WE2 that's driving 2 XF330's and a Varios 4. I've just filled the tank and tried to turn them on and they're throwing "check pump" intermittently on all 3 pumps. Googling suggests this error is usually caused by trying to power the WE2 off the command bus port but I'm not: I'm powering it directly off the power brick.

Has anyone seen this before?
I have heard that the pins are easily bent. Check the pins on the pump cables and adapters. I have a WEv2 but have not used the direct drive ports yet. I control my MP10's with it. Have posted on the Hydros facebook group.

OP
OP
cowfootball

cowfootball

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that the pins are easily bent. Check the pins on the pump cables and adapters. I have a WEv2 but have not used the direct drive ports yet. I control my MP10's with it. Have posted on the Hydros facebook group.

Yeah, no luck. I have two XF330's and one Varios4 into 3 direct drive ports and all 3 of them are failing. I ran through some steps with CoralVue support but I guess they've logged off for the weekend, no conclusion. They said on their side the unit shows no AC power but we tested with the command bus unplugged and just the AC power and it's still got LEDs lit up etc, so it definitely has power from AC but it's not making it to the direct drive ports, I guess.

I'm beginning to think this is just a faulty unit.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, no luck. I have two XF330's and one Varios4 into 3 direct drive ports and all 3 of them are failing. I ran through some steps with CoralVue support but I guess they've logged off for the weekend, no conclusion. They said on their side the unit shows no AC power but we tested with the command bus unplugged and just the AC power and it's still got LEDs lit up etc, so it definitely has power from AC but it's not making it to the direct drive ports, I guess.

I'm beginning to think this is just a faulty unit.
Have tried just one pump at a time on the controller to see if one may be faulty and causing an issue with the other two?

OP
OP
cowfootball

cowfootball

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have tried just one pump at a time on the controller to see if one may be faulty and causing an issue with the other two?
Yeah. I managed to get one pump to run alone for a few minutes and then tried switching it and couldn’t get it to work again on the original one or any other. Not sure if it was just luck or there is actual some issue in all 3 of my adapter cables.

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running 2x xf350 and 2x varios returns on my WE2. Mine does the same thing after cleaning the gyres sometimes. I usually reassemble them and the problem goes away.

You’ve tried just running one pump at a time with all 3 to see if one is causing the issue?

Punchline is that in my case the issue always lies with the pump and not the WE2.

OP
OP
cowfootball

cowfootball

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the WE2 and all 3 pumps are brand new. It’s doing it with both the XF330 and the Varios4 and when I switched the Varios to an octo controller it worked perfectly.

So strange thing is that the XF330’s work if I put the flow pattern in random or SPS but not in gyre or s bunch of others. I’ll enumerate them all and get back to coralvue support, maybe there’s some commonality there.

I’ll try that Facebook group as well, thanks!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the WE2 and all 3 pumps are brand new. It’s doing it with both the XF330 and the Varios4 and when I switched the Varios to an octo controller it worked perfectly.

So strange thing is that the XF330’s work if I put the flow pattern in random or SPS but not in gyre or s bunch of others. I’ll enumerate them all and get back to coralvue support, maybe there’s some commonality there.

I’ll try that Facebook group as well, thanks!
There are minimum maximum settings for some pumps that if you set them too low or too high you will get a pump error. So if it works on some patterns and not others then you may have a minimum set too low or a maximum set too high for that specific pump. I don't know the specific settings. Hopefully someone that uses the pumps you have will post their minimum and maximum settings.

OP
OP
cowfootball

cowfootball

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are minimum maximum settings for some pumps that if you set them too low or too high you will get a pump error. So if it works on some patterns and not others then you may have a minimum set too low or a maximum set too high for that specific pump. I don't know the specific settings. Hopefully someone that uses the pumps you have will post their minimum and maximum settings.

I thought that too but if I hit “min” or “max” in the override they work. I wonder if it has something to do with either reverse or the programming for coordinating flow.

I can’t get the Varios4 to work at all though.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that too but if I hit “min” or “max” in the override they work. I wonder if it has something to do with either reverse or the programming for coordinating flow.

I think there is a setting for allow reverse you can turn off to see if that is the issue.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you min/max speeds? The WE is touchy with shorter bursts or short pulse wave modes. I don’t think they have the same type of power output that the native controllers have. Short pulse is 2.75 seconds at its shortest and it won’t even come anywhere near top programmed speed on square mode.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also some pumps will run in reverse and require invert rotation to be on. Not sure on your pumps though.

OP
OP
cowfootball

cowfootball

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the issue is actually minimum speed. The outputs are configured with the default 25-100%. The schedule flow pattern was configured with the default 0-100% and 30 second cycle durations.

If I switch the schedule to 15-100% then gyre mode seems to work without throwing errors.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try setting the schedule to 1 to 100. A 0 setting would be off. Also you can set the 25% up some on the pump outputs.

OP
OP
cowfootball

cowfootball

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I somewhat got to the bottom of this although it doesn't make all that much sense to me.

The Varios was a bent pin on the adapter. New adapter fixed that.

The XF330 cloud editions are more mysterious. If I set their minimum to 40% then they work fine. If they're at 30% minimum then they very occasionally throw check pump errors and if they're at 20% they throw it every few seconds.

I know that pumps need a minimum amount of power to spin but I'm surprised it's 40%.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 144 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.6%
Back